The foodie and the freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used my freezer primarily to store ingredients, like foods purchased frozen (potatoes, vegetables), steaks and chicken, and often fresh shrimp I shelled and deveined and froze myself.

I don't usually freeze quantities or portions of meals I've cooked. I'd rather cook fresh, and I get tired of things by the time it's appropriate to reheat them. I'd rather have a new meal than warmed over.

However I think it's important to have a few convenience dinners frozen. Maybe you're sick or you don't want to pick up and take out, or order delivery. I also keep a few cans of soup on hand. You can't always count on somebody bringing you chicken soup when you're sick.

Otherwise I just cook small enough dinners that there aren't any leftovers worth freezing. You can always learn and/or adjust to cooking appropriate meal sizes.

I tried to find the quote from Mark Bittman, but couldn't, about freezing. His comments were along the lines that you should freeze something you want to use, not just to delay pitching it out.

It totally changed the way I thought about what to do with leftovers, and scraps of nothing that I would never use. We established a dish for the dog with her name on it, and she gets some of it (but not broccoli - she just won't go for broccoli) and the rest I toss. I do measure and save broths, buttermilk, eggwhites, otherwise, it's my 'winter stash' of food. I have a bottom freezer of the fridge, and an upright, and they should be empty by late spring or eraly summer.

Then I'll start filling it up again.

yeah, did it follow her home with bluebirds placing flowers in her hair, bunnies tossing flower petals where she walks, and racoons following behind holding the train of her gown?

you bagged the deer, of course...

:D

Very close, buckytom! I usually wear gowns and dresses to work. During break, some call their babysitters or hubby. Others go out for a smoke. Me? I slip off my heels and shove my feet into wellies to take a walk through the adjoining woods. Breaks being only a few minutes, I just pick up my black powder gun rather than opt for bows/arrows. After all, if I found something for dinner, the bow will sometimes allow the critter to run for miles if my shot is a bit off! I hardly have time for that and it is hard to take good aim when wearing work jewelry.

So I go into the woods and use my special call: hahaha-HA-HAAAA! This usually brings most creatures far and wide toward me. This time, I got a deer. My hunting bunnies could not carry it, but thankfully, a grounds worker arrived! I gave it to the grounds worker to get it to the butcher in exchange for the story. Then it was time to get back to work.

Or...a co-worker nabbed it on his last hunting trip. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom