"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 05-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook
What is a good dishwasher ?

there are so many of them and the prices are from low to to high ,I do know I want one that is line with metal not white inside ,we have a well and any one knows how white turns to rust, YUK.

I'm slowing killing the dishwasher we got now.

chilichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Head Chef
For me a dishwasher is a nice to have but I don't need all the bells and whistles and ultra quiet models.

I do look for energy efficient because it saves on water and gas bills.

I think in the pricey range the two popular ones are Fisher & Paykel and Bosche. They are sleek, come with hidden controls, you can get them as drawers (less water consumption and a bit more practical for a smaller family) and they can be overlayed with wood so it blends in with your cabinets.

In the mid price range the possibilities are too many to list. I think a stainless clad with a food grinder (so you don't have to do double work) and energy efficiency with a little bit of quietness and ofcourse consumer reports on reliability is what you should go by.

I have a Kenmore all stainless inside and out and I am very happy with it. It's quiet, energy efficient and does the job.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Executive Chef
I just pick up a Bosch SHX33A05UC two weeks ago. I like it because it doesn't have 50 different wash cycles to choose from. It has 3 cycles: Pots/Pans; Regular; Rinse/Hold. It's quiet and the dishes come out clean. I think on the regular cycle it uses between 2 and 4 gallons of water. The interior is a tad smaller than our old Kenmore (piece of **** !!!!) but knowing the dishes will be clean is fine enough.

It costs $800 for all stainless steel. Lowe's carries them (I had to get mine from another company because Lowe's was out of stock)
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef
WHirlpool makes a nice quiet one. GE's currently have issues, stear clear.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Yes I have a GE stove and Microwave they are ok . I do like the idea of the two drawers,are they the same size a normal washer. I have a little kitchen
chilichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Cook
I have had a Miele for about 4-5 yrs. now. I love it! Never a problem, washes great, is energy efficient, quiet, and has a SS interior. It also will shut down automatically if ever it were to overflow, plus there is a pan built-in that would catch any overflow, or so the salesman told me! I think the Miele is very similar to Bosch.
Green Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I have an older model GE...is 8 years old...no problems...The newer ones are iffy I hear..
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Head Chef
bosch makes the best i have ever seen ...
the quality is vey good ...
the price is on the high side ..
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Friends have a GEProfile and it is a terrific machine--SS interior, BIG, racks are "adaptable"--the dish racks can be folded down to accomodate a different size dish, etc. If I ever replace, that is what I will get. I have a KA and have had KAs forever. Very serviceable.
Charleysaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
Senior Cook
We had a super high end Kitchenaid that lasted almost 25 years. In the end the racks rusted out and replacement was rediculously expensive. We replaced it with a mid line Bosch a couple of years ago. All stainless interior. No steel in the racks to rust- I think they are nylon. Extremely quiet, lots of capacity, and gets the dishes clean every time. I recommend it.

Walt Bulander is offline   Reply With Quote