What type of range do you use at home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What type of stove do you use at home?

• Total voters
I have an 1980's black Roper with the downdraft feature, solid burners, convection oven, and the grill.

Hmm, probably should have said range instead of stove. How come it's always easier to see mistakes after you've hit submit? Oh well, I guess everyone gets the drift. I have a Maytag smooth top ceramic.

I use what my apartment complex installed. 4-top electric coil stove. I hate it. I want a gas range like nothing else.

Ours is gas, but it's probably actually somewhere between run of the mill and the professional models.

It's got an oversized convection oven, and a 'power burner' that goes something like 11,500 BTU's (can't remember off hand, but that sounds about right). Granted, that's nothing compared to the 100,000 BTU propane burners that I use when I make beer. 8)

John

I have a ceramic, but I would really like to convert to gas...or so I think. I've found interesting conversations here regarding the different outputs of different cooktops, so my jury is still out at the moment.

I have two hotpoint electric coil stoves. My neighborhood can't have gas, but luckily the majority of my cooking experiences have been with electric so I am very used to it. Some day I would love to have gas though.

gas, and i wouldn't use anything else. this is amongst my main criteria in selection an apartment.

Gas is great, but what garbage of s stove do I have. :( It is Kitchen Aid. I do not think they even make it anymore. It was and still is a toy not a stove. When I went to get it, I new very little about stoves and just picked up the second to the most expensive one in Sears. It takes forever to boil a pot of water. Never again!

Well, I live in one house most of the time and it has an old General Electric, circa 1970, self-cleaning electric range with coil burners. It just keeps working and working and working.

I also have high end Dacor cooktop and Kitchen Aid Architect series dual fuel range and they are no better than $300 gas cooktops. They look good in a high end upscale kitchen, but that's about it. They're over rated, but when it comes time to sell, it will actually be a positive selling point.

A Viking electric with the solid caste burners....holds heat forever...

Lifter

We have an electric, that came with the apartment.

I've lived in four apartments, and had the good luck to have gas at one of them.

However, I've always believed that there are good and bad points to both kinds of stoves.

Electric:
-takes forever to heat a coil and a pan.
-temperature changes take time, either up or down.
-great for simmering large quantities of liquids, with the wide-area, low heat of the coil
-can't flambe a pan very well.

Gas:
-low heat produces a small "hot spot" at the center, need a flame tamer for gentle heating.
-instant on, instant off, temperature changes are fast, basically however long it takes for the pan to react.

I replaced a vintage 70s Whirlpool stove (actually worn out and old but sounded cool) with a Dacor Preference Dual Fuel and am a very happy camper.

Mark

Gas, but that's all that is available in this country.

Should you be interesting, I'll tell you a little more... Gas lines don't exist. We have to get our large blue propane tanks and hook up the stove to it. And because the propane tanks don't have as much output as gas lines, the oven doesn't heat up as much as it's supposed to, so it's very difficult to get a hot enough oven for some things.

Also, it's small. Sure, it's got four burners, but it looks like a toy next to anything North American. Welcome to Asia, where everything is small!

The main thing with the smooth top electric range is the clean up. No matter what all the pros say about it has to be gas ... the person who says gas only isn't the person who scrubs the stove. If you have to clean it every day .....

Back
Top Bottom