Anyone else on here prefer using cookbooks more vs. online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use both as well. I love my cookbook collection, which is proudly displayed on my kitchen shelf ( which I had specifically custom made so the books wouldn't be hidden somewhere, impossible to get, then hardly used). I use them because of proven recipes, many of them I had seen demonstrated either from live demo's which I attended, viewed on television, or included in a DVD that came with their book ( which provides a visual demo). As mentioned many times above, they are mostly from chefs/ authors that have proven their recipes and techniques by their long professional culinary history, and cookbook writing history. Thats not to say that all of them fall under this category. Some are by one-timers that may offer a unique cuisine or just something that caught my eye ( or my imaginary palate). By no means am I anywhere close to being a professional chef, but with 30 + years of home cooking experience, I ( like many of you guys and gals) have developed the skill of being able to eye over a recipe and have a pretty good idea of what it may taste like. Often my wife just sends me the recipes to look over prior to her making any, so she doesn't waste her time ( shopping, cooking ...) or money on the ingredients ( she doesn't have the same talent).

The internet, on the other hand, is more of an 'Idea Finder" for me. It's quick, easy and accessible. In most cases it is free too. This is ideal for searching for ideas through a practically unlimited data base. Many recipes or ideas are forced down our throat as trendy 2 minute videos that pop up everywhere. At first I was annoyed by them, as it was just the ' flavor of the day', that everyone tried and talks about until the next one pops up. Now, I have learned to like them. They are quick, easy, right to the point. Ive made a bunch of them, which have come out pretty good. That being said, I also like to be unique. I don't like bringing something to a party and everyone saying " oh yeah, I saw that online and I meant to (or did) try it. As far as just searching for recipes online, unless Im going after a specific recipe or chef/author, Ill usually look at a few different recipes of the same dish. Ill then compare them to each other, along with my past experiences. With all this, Ill ultimately make a decision one which one I feel will turn out best, or sometimes even bastardizing all of them, and making one recipe out of them all ( picking an choosing certain ingredients and measurements from each that appeal to me . ***I never mess with a baking recipe. Those I follow %100, since I am a poor baker and screwing around with the measurements or ingredients is almost guaranteeing a failure unless you know what you're doing ( which I don't and gladly admit to :) )

Im also not a big reader( like novels and things like that). But what I do enjoy reading are cookbooks. Not only for the recipes, but to look at the pics, learn a little history about the dish, the ingredients, the culture... So you can often see me just browsing through a cookbook, as someone else may be doing the same with a novel. I sometimes bring a cookbook or cooking magazines with me on vacations to read during down time.

Case in point: I came across this recipe on the Bon Appétit website. It was created by the BA Test Kitchen.

Perfect Pan-Roasted Chicken Thighs Recipe - Bon Appétit Recipe | Bon Appetit

I looked at it this afternoon since I was cooking thighs tonight. Thought I might learn something new. I'm really glad I didn't follow it. If I had, we would have had chicken charcoal. My chicken thighs were done in about half the time. I'd have to assume they used REALLY BIG thighs.

BA is supposed to be a decent site with TESTED recipes...

This sounds exactly like the recipe we use for crispy skin chicken thighs. Karen will have to look at it to confirm, but if it is, it works!

Last edited:
It is the same recipe. Did you use a really heavy pan? That's crucial. One of the thighs we use is more than enough for me. Also, since different stoves heat differently you have to adjust depending on your stove. I cook them more toward the medium side rather than med high.

It is the same recipe. Did you use a really heavy pan? That's crucial. One of the thighs we use is more than enough for me. Also, since different stoves heat differently you have to adjust depending on your stove. I cook them more toward the medium side rather than med high.

I used a Lodge CI Skillet. My stove is not all that powerful.

The technique is not the issue. It's the length of time and degree of flame. Sure, if you make adjustments it will work.

Books every time. I can read them in bed and I don't have to fiddle about printing the recipe off, putting the copy in a safe place then spending hours looking for said "safe place" so I can find the copy and make the dish.

The only problem is - when I moved last time I took several bags of cookery books to the charity shop and I still have nearly 300!

Back
Top Bottom