Attention, Southern Food Lovers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
I just bought Damon Lee Fowler's books, 'New Southern Baking' and 'New Southern Kitchen'. I had gotten the baking book from the libray, and it was so wonderful, decided I had to have it, then on Amazon when I was ordering, saw the 'cooking' one, so got both! They are absolutely fantastic - traditional 'Southern' ingredients, done up in wonderful new and fresh ways. I highly recommend these!

Last edited:
Tx Andy - spent last night reading 'New Southern Kitchen'! The intro and forward are great reads, as he 'defines' what southern cooking is, where it came from and how it has evolved over time. The recipes are beautiful, and beautifully simple, too - a la 'Asparagus Shortcake', a savory combo of ham, asparagus and cream served over biscuits.

They sound wonderful Marm, looks like you found a great pair. What sorts of baked goods do you have your eye on so far?

marmalady said:
Tx Andy - spent last night reading 'New Southern Kitchen'! The intro and forward are great reads, as he 'defines' what southern cooking is, where it came from and how it has evolved over time. The recipes are beautiful, and beautifully simple, too - a la 'Asparagus Shortcake', a savory combo of ham, asparagus and cream served over biscuits.

You'll have to keep us posted on your progress as you cook your way through the books.

There's a 'brown velvet' cake that's kinda caught my eye. And the biscuits! Pages and pages of biscuits and different cornbread/hoecake recipes!!

I will have to restock my boubon supply, tho - lots of his recipes have a bourbon base in the recipe itself, or the sauce! Not that I mind!:)

Thanks for letting us know about these cookbooks- I think I'll take a little surf to amazon and have a look-Thanks again Marm!!!Love and energy, Vicki

Marmalady, I have been thinking about picking up Fowler's, "New Southern Kitchen." It is a beautiful book. How are you progressing with the recipes now?

I've made 3 or 4 recipes from each of the books, and they all turned out beautifully; the recipes/instructions are well written and easy to follow.

That's always good to hear. Do you feel both books are worth the investment? I have checked out the "New Southern Kitchen" and I find it "true" to the title. Many true Southern recipes, but "lighter" and healthier and his twist to them.

Is it safe to assume that "New Southern Baking" is traditional in nature to the recipe selections? I can't seem to find one to look through...so I assume it is selling fairly well. (I have asked the local library to request a Library Loan to get the chance to look at a copy.)

Thank you for your input!

Lol, haven't noticed the 'lighter healthier' side, will have to go back in and look w/that in mind!

I think he's just done a fabulous job with tracing Southern food to its roots, and adding his own tweaks to it. Living in Charleston, SC, there are so many wonderful restaurants that are doing just that, and some wonderfully creative dishes are being created from it!

Look on www.ecookbooks.com or at Amazon for some good prices on both/either of these books.

And also for Southern cuisine, don't forget Edna Lewis's books and the last one with Scott Peacock.

Back
Top Bottom