"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

I have a collection of 200 cookbooks and am now a semi-vegan - no beef or pork, and very little chicken. I am looking for vegetarian cookbooks now and online is, I think, the best place to find vegan recipes. I am now old enough to "play with my food" and see what I can change in the recipes though! lol

http://www.winzy.com/sthnbelle

gawillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

I buy when I need to be sure about some recipe and I cant find it online. I do not read everything. I just look at the pages of what I want and then keep it. I bought one recently containing 450 recipes but I only looked at the section for meatloaves.

cookinghomefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Sous Chef

I like cookbooks... I enjoy reading them for ideas. I rarely follow recipes true though.... sometimes I think I should.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #24
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawillow View Post
I have a collection of 200 cookbooks and am now a semi-vegan - no beef or pork, and very little chicken. I am looking for vegetarian cookbooks now and online is, I think, the best place to find vegan recipes. I am now old enough to "play with my food" and see what I can change in the recipes though! lol
Check out Veganomicon. My vegan and vegetarian friends have been raving about so I picked it up. I've made a few recipes and so far so good.

To answer the OP: I have fewer than 10 cookbooks. I rarely use them, most of what I cook is in my head or I improvise as I go. I do keep The Joy of Cooking around for reference. I am not vegetarian, but I picked up Veganomicon to make it a tad easier to cook for my veggie friends. I have a few gluten free cookbooks that were given to me since I have a family full of Celiac's, but I have never even cracked the cover on those.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 AM   #25
Master Chef

I love cookbooks and some so much that I've had to go out and get a second copy because the first one was falling apart (luckily my mother-in-law passed me hers for those that are out of print) I'm a sucker for magazines, too, The Chili Pepper, being one of the most interesting
Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I have a small collection but ended up converting them all to the recipe boxes. I hated having a variety of books to sort through when in the mood for one recipe.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #27
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I have a few - 15 or so. Yes, I use them, like others here, I like to read them. If I am going to make somethiing special, I like to tead several recipies for what I am making and take a little from each.

AC
Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #28
Executive Chef

About two to three hundred I remember each one of them when I need to look something up. Sometimes I look for a certain one and then realize I gave it away. I have certain ones I go to on a more regular basis. I would buy more but I'm getting tired of buying one from mail order without actually being able to look at it and then find out it really was not what I wanted. Where I live there are no stores for books so I usually buy from Ebay. Afew years ago I was in Eugene,OR there was a huge used book store it was heaven I could have been in there for hours and hours going thru all the cookbooks they had.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Hi all,
My first post in this section (I have 19 cook books for yopur information - just counted them)

1) Good Housekeeping 'Cookery Book' - 850 amazing and simple recipes. Not much of a read but very useful.
2) Gary Rhodes - Keeping it Simple - for the way it's written and how it provides suggestions for alternatives to everything. well worth picking up and seriously under rated.
3) Moro - Mostly just for reading, but has some great recipes too for when you're feeling energetic!
4) Delia's complete cookery course - Recipes sometimes a little iffy but a great book overall. Just look out for her Nutmeg fetish!
5) The Crank's recipe book - Fantastic recipes (especially the soups) which I have regularly scaled up and used for up to 150 people at a time. They can be a bit 'wholefood' and worthy, but amazing recipes that actually work.

That's all folks

gussington
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Smile Love cookbooks!

I love cookbooks! I only have 57 cookbooks in my collection.

I go through my cookbooks and copy the recipes that look interesting onto recipe cards that I keep in my recipe box. When I cook or bake I only use my recipe cards.

Yes, I also get recipes from websites and TV cooking shows.