"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #21
Senior Cook

As an update to this thread, I now have a few books and a few more on order. I have purchased:

How to Cook Everything
Cook's: Kitchen Handbook and 500 Basic Recipes (great for technique - lots of photos! Plus it was on sale!)
Chop (cutting techniques and recipes to accompany those techniques)
A bunch of general cookbooks - mostly "healthy" (supposedly)

On order:
Pepin's Complete Techniques
Cookwise
On Food and Cooking
Culinary Artistry

Those should be arriving this week.

I *will* pick up Joy of Cooking at some point. Just have to find it on sale or something first (I'm cheap - and poor!)

Old 06-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Regarding 'Joy of cooking'; I have all three versions and the differences are increadable. I do not use the 'All New...' but find the second version really great.

Silver, you really can't go wrong with any of Bittman's tomes, the fellow puts some remarkable but simplly complete recipeis together.

If you aren't poor you will be after the list above. I picked up 'Cookwise ' and it was $30US/ 45CDN!
One could buy a couple 14oz New York strips with 45 days age on them for that.

edit: I really do need a spell checker

Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
As an update to this thread, I now have a few books and a few more on order. I have purchased:

How to Cook Everything
Cook's: Kitchen Handbook and 500 Basic Recipes (great for technique - lots of photos! Plus it was on sale!)
Chop (cutting techniques and recipes to accompany those techniques)
A bunch of general cookbooks - mostly "healthy" (supposedly)

On order:
Pepin's Complete Techniques
Cookwise
On Food and Cooking
Culinary Artistry

Those should be arriving this week.

I *will* pick up Joy of Cooking at some point. Just have to find it on sale or something first (I'm cheap - and poor!)

My recommendation would be to hold off buyng and start reading some of the great books you bought. Absorb some of the knowledge and put it into play. Then your experience will dictate what you need in the way of new books.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:15 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Yeah, I don't think I need anything more for awhile. I'm pretty much set.

Joy will, eventually, become a part of my bookshelf, but it's no rush. I have lots to read and not a lot of time to do the reading, so I'm good for awhile
Old 06-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #25
Head Chef

Silver,
Sounds right to me. As always Andy's advice is invaluable.
Another suggestion you can take or leave is "go deep before you go wide." One at a time, learn simple things well and then build on that base.
I hope you keep us posted.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Absolutely skilletlicker. I will be endeavouring to make some cool recipes sometime soon based on good, simple techniques.

Also, Corriher, McGee, and Culinary Artistry arrived today. yay!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #27
Senior Cook

You could always try joining the book clubs.

Usually get 4-6 books for $1/each plus shipping/handling, with the understanding that you have to purchase 1-2 more books within the next year at club prices plus s/h. Also, on the initial order, you sometimes have the chance to purchase a book for 1/2 off and only buy one in the next year, instead of two. I usually take advantage of that. But, make sure it's the cheapest one!
The initial investment usually comes out to $5-6/per book. $28-$40 total.
Then I'll wait until they have a buy one, get one free sale for my commitment book. Still get charged s/h on both, but helps defray some of the costs.

I haven't bought "new" in a while!

www.thegoodcook.com
www.qpb.com
www.homestylebooks.com
Old 07-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I think most of the books listed will be helpful.
I don't think Bittman's book really fits in with some of the books listed.
I had heard the kudos about Bittman's book, and when I spotted it at a bookstore for $5 USD, I flipped through it. Unfortunately, most of what I saw was "too" basic. I think that anyone who has been cooking for any length of time may not need his book, but it certainly would be great for the beginning cook. But that's just my opinion, obviously.
~mouse
Old 07-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Mouse, so far I like Bittman because I'm still pretty novice in the kitchen. While I understand a lot of the concepts, I haven't actually DONE any of it, so I'm pretty low level. So I have to say that, I think, it's a pretty great addition to the rest of the books as far as simplifying certain bits that may be a bit complicated for me. I could totally see what you mean for someone with more experience, though.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Mouse, so far I like Bittman because I'm still pretty novice in the kitchen. While I understand a lot of the concepts, I haven't actually DONE any of it, so I'm pretty low level. So I have to say that, I think, it's a pretty great addition to the rest of the books as far as simplifying certain bits that may be a bit complicated for me. I could totally see what you mean for someone with more experience, though.
If you are a novice, it should be great. It was pretty thick with recipes!
Have you looked at any of Christopher Kimball's books or books from Cook's Illustrated? I think they could be very informative for you. There are tons out there now, including the annuals from Cook's.
~mouse