Help please! Which Edition to buy of The Settlement Cook Book?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookbook Shop

Assistant Cook
Hello to the Forum!

I would like to buy a copy of The Settlement Cook Book: The Way to a Man's Heart by Mrs. Simon Kander, to add to my collection, but before I do, I am seeking some advice on which incarnation to buy. Do you think an early edition (roughly 1901-1915, the most pricey) is best? Or a later revised edition, say, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's or 1980's edition or perhaps the new (1997) edition "updated for the modern cook--lighter, healthier, easier than ever before..."? I think there was one even published in 2006!

I tend to be traditional when buying something of value, whether it be a cookbook, or a piece of china, and try to buy the original if I can afford it, but I'm not opposed to a reproduction, reprint or later edition.

Which one do you have; do you like it and have you ever compared it to another era/edition?

Thank you for your input!

Cindy :wub:

I guess the first question I'd ask would be what is a purpose of the purchase. Are you a book collector, are you a home cook that is planing to use it in your everyday cooking, you have nothing better to do with our money. Those are a few to begin with.

I have some old books and the new addition of them. The old ones are just there, but if I use a recipe I look into the new one. The diferent foods were available then and now, we did not know as much as we do now about health, etc.
I think it might be too personal to advise you on.

I guess the first question I'd ask would be what is a purpose of the purchase. Are you a book collector, are you a home cook that is planing to use it in your everyday cooking, you have nothing better to do with our money.

Thank you for answering! I am a collector of cookbooks, a home cook and I may use it occasionally. I just like cookbooks and read them like some people read novels. I was asking because it's a classic, one I have never looked at and was wondering which era other cooks on the forum own. It appeals to me, as an interesting cookbook, in that it has spanned 108 years of existence and there were many different revised editions relevant to the era published. I am sort of wondering what makes it so durable? :wub:

I'd get an early one AND a later one. Might be fun to see what was different and how the book evolved.

I am with GrillingFool both old and current versions. I have 4 copies.

Back
Top Bottom