How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benni said:
I used to get embarrased whenever my family and friends commented on the huge number of cookbooks (and craft books) that I own. And then I thought 'so what', this is my hobby, I love reading the books and yes I know I will never live long enough to try all the recipes -so.

So now I ignore their comments and buy new recipe books whenever I feel like it. I figure they can donate them to a charity when I finally shuffle off.

However, I do see a granddaughter who seems to be heading the same way - so i just slip her a cook book now and then. Good to see someone keeping up the tradition.
That's the spirit! I had a friend over the other day who snidely asked me whether we use all our cookbooks (800 and counting). I said, probably not. So she gave me a look as if to say, "Well, then what's the purpose?"

I started to begin explaining the joy of of collecting, to explain that cookbooks are more than just recipes, but soon realized that unless one has a similar obsession, it would fall on deaf ears. So I asked her why she goes to Vegas every month to gamble. She said because she enjoys it. Voila!

LOL. I know where I would rather spend my money and its not in some slot machine or up in smoke.

Just brought a couple more lovely cookbooks today, one is a beautiful Italian cookbook with fabulous recipes from different areas and pictures of the Italian countryside and the other is an Australian Heritage Cookbook.

I think you'll all like one of my new years resolutions. Once a month we will take down a book, preverably one we've never cooked from, pick a recipe and make it! We could do this for years and not run out of cookbooks!

I do not count my cookbooks...just keep adding to them...usually one a year.
In addition I have white 3 ring binders and place new recipes I find ...here and there. I have 5 binders to date (just started) and I do have them separated cakes breads etc.

Since joining Discuss Cooking Forum...I have receipes from people I have met on the Forum. If you enjoy cooking baking...this is WHAT you do.

Claire said:
I think you'll all like one of my new years resolutions. Once a month we will take down a book, preverably one we've never cooked from, pick a recipe and make it! We could do this for years and not run out of cookbooks!
You made me do the math, Claire. If I resolve to do the same, I will have accomplished my goal in 75 years, assuming I stick with my primary resolution, which is not to buy one more cookbook (okay, well, there is one I have to buy) for at least several months.

Maybe if I up it to once a week? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Just counted them on my bookcase. I have 52, along with a filing cabinet drawer filled with folders of pages torn from magazines and internet articles. I usually read my magazines a couple times, then tear out what I want. I used to save them all, but it was getting out of hand. My book collection constantly changes though. I'd probably have a couple hundred cookbooks by now if I saved every one I've purchased. Usually I buy them when I'm learning about a specific cuisine or dish. Once I've cooked everything I've wanted and learned what I aimed to learn, I usually give them away (having all the info I want recorded in my personal recipe file). There are a few exceptions for books which I simply use all the time, like "On Food and Cooking" which have been staples of my library for years now.

My most prized cookbook (and the one that I use most often) is the folder on my 'puter that has all my tested recipes with my notes and photos. I keep it backed up on a USB thumbdrive and also a couple CD-R's.

I have around 200 I thnk. I like to collect and
read them like books. I also like the spiral bound
church and community cookbooks. I do try various
recipes and note how they are in the book. I couldn't
keep track of which book had the recipe I liked so I've
taken to putting them in the computer and printing my
favorites out, putting them in a binder. Easy to find.

suzyQ3 said:
That's the spirit! I had a friend over the other day who snidely asked me whether we use all our cookbooks (800 and counting). I said, probably not. So she gave me a look as if to say, "Well, then what's the purpose?"

I started to begin explaining the joy of of collecting, to explain that cookbooks are more than just recipes, but soon realized that unless one has a similar obsession, it would fall on deaf ears. So I asked her why she goes to Vegas every month to gamble. She said because she enjoys it. Voila!

after I showed her my latest find, my co-worker asked me when I would stop buying cookbooks. I told her, never, it's a collection. her answer: "I don't collect anything....." how sad:(

Bandonjan, I also put favorites on the computer, then print them out in large, bold type when I want to use them. I tape them to the cupboard door above my work space. Works really well.

Claire, Super idea. I have many cookbooks. I recently started 5 three ring binders with categories. Main Meals Cake Cookies etc. I collect and collect favorites from friends and famlies. Where is that recipe? Saving them on the computer will help locate them. Thanks again. I think I may store my very very favorites. Collecting is fun.

Claire -- good idea about the large print, I am forever
putting my glasses down. Don't have to wear them all
the time, just when I want to read something! he he

My first post here.
I have over 1000 cookbooks and counting. I haven't counted them lately, so not entirely sure exactly how many I have. It's a wonderful addiction.

artisan02 said:
My first post here.
I have over 1000 cookbooks and counting. I haven't counted them lately, so not entirely sure exactly how many I have. It's a wonderful addiction.

WOW, will you adopt me??:angel: ;)

I agree on the addiction part....

I have a few

I have about 30 books, I have recently gotten more into ebook recipe books. It seems to make it easier to navigate and less bulk. I have 2 cupboards full of cook books and it seems to be a pain to pull one out of the bottom just for one thing. I buy whatever recipe ebook I can.

bgan10 said:
I have about 30 books, I have recently gotten more into ebook recipe books. It seems to make it easier to navigate and less bulk. I have 2 cupboards full of cook books and it seems to be a pain to pull one out of the bottom just for one thing. I buy whatever recipe ebook I can.
Well, I don't buy cookbooks just for recipes. I am one of those folks that loves them for their recipes, but also for the pleasure they give me while I am reading them. An ecookbook doesn't do that for me.
Oftentimes, I will sit down with a cookbook and read it from beginning to end, almost like a novel. I may never make anything from that particular book, but it gives me so much pleasure in other ways, such as seeing how others eat, and cook.
I doubt I will ever stop collecting. I haven't been able to buy any for a few months, and I now have a long and growing list of those that I want to get.

Iprobably have about 1 dozen to 2 dozen, at the most. I am not a pak rat, so if it doesn't have lots of things I can use...I chuck it (I usualy donate to the local library)

I have vegeterian books, for my daughter is one, but I want her to know that is we will not leave her needs unattended. In fact, she gets to rummage through some of the books and find a new recipe now and again.

I also like magazine articles with simple recipes, for the mere fact that...I am a home schooling mom and belong to a local suport group. Guess what I teach? You guessed it, Cooking. I am fondly referred to as "The Cooking Lady" I even asked my students one time, "How many of you know my name?" And the response was (Please remember these are 5-9 year olds) "THE COOKING LADY!

So I am always on the prowl for recipes that I can make in under an hour and still teach them something.

Sorry, I got waaaay off track. But for someone who loves to cook, I have few cookbooks!

I have a very bad habit.... I adore uber-cookbooks.

At the moment I've only got a few, one being "The Cooks Book", along with the Italian classic "The Silver Spoon" (The recently translated on, by Phiadon). I also have one of "1000 Indian Recipes". Once I'm no longer a poor student I'm going to find a copy of Larrouse Gastronomie and Escoffier. I'd also love a copy of Mrs. Beatons.

I buy too many cooking magazines as well, at least three a month. I can no longer remember what's in them all, or where my favourite recipies are.

So, I've started to keep a list of the recipies I want to try and their location. Just names at the moment, although I should really apply categories.

I also copy recipies I like into a Word document, so I don't have to keep the magazines to hand. I'm thinking of making some sort of database to store my collection in.

Quadlex - I have an even worse habit. I get Ideas from cookbooks (or from magazines). I do own several, but I'd have to admit that I rarely even open them. The thing my spouse actually complains about on a regular basis (been married for almost 25 years), is that I don't write down the meals I put together. If she "loves" something I made, I can never totally reproduce. As I was growing up, I started to learn to cook for myself at 8 yrs of age since no one that cared about me was around for many of my home meals (single mom worked 18 hour days, at the two sisters spent more time out an about or torturing me ;-)) Anyway, I never got in the habit of writing down what I use, or in what amount. Once I make something I like I remember 95% of the ingredients I used the next time I make it, then improvise on taste (and sometimes ingredients based on what was the freshest ingredients the last time I shopped. Makes the spouse sometimes unhappy, but since she can make only a couple of things well, she knows not to complain too much. ;-) Sorry I got so *way* off topic. The cook book I found the most use of was a copy of "The Joy of Cooking". This cook book has the "most" information hints and tips of any cook book I've ever opened on the widest verity of topics. It truly is a good learning from cook book. Now if I could just get in the habit of writing down what I did cook wise :) The Easter dinner I made recently, was excellent... A rib roast done medium rare, and no spice adjustments needed with all the normal sides (garlic mashed taters, bacon green beans, mixed green salad with a ton of fresh veggies, and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing, or the red wine vinaigrette I made (or the bottled Ranch which I seam to buy as I never personally use;-)). I also had oven fresh rolls w/ butter, and Key Lime pie for dessert. I even made a chicken stir fry for the non-beef eaters that everyone liked. The sad thing is I could not make a TNT recipe for any of the items that wouldn't be guessing since I don't write anything down. The good thing was that I only spent time cooking from 3:30pm ~ 6pm when the guests started to arrive, and the meat needed to rest ;-) Wow, that was almost a blog rather then a posted reply... The second Brandy I had since being home must have made me do it. Casper

Back
Top Bottom