Patience pays off....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KathyJ

Senior Cook
Just thought I'd share with you all -

Larousse Gastronomique has been on my wishlist for a while, but being tight-fisted right now, I haven't wanted to spend the $.

Guess what I found at the thrift store this weekend for $1.50????

It's an older copy, 1961. I believe it's the first English edition. Bluish cover with silver lettering. Doesn't have a dust cover-don't know if it's supposed to.
But I'm so excited to get this!!!

I love super finds like that!

I was lucky enough to pick up Escoffier's Basic Elements of Fine Cookery including sauces and garnishes (1941 edition) for $1.00. It tickles me to death to find books like this.

KathyJ said:
Just thought I'd share with you all -

Larousse Gastronomique has been on my wishlist for a while, but being tight-fisted right now, I haven't wanted to spend the $.

Guess what I found at the thrift store this weekend for $1.50????

It's an older copy, 1961. I believe it's the first English edition. Bluish cover with silver lettering. Doesn't have a dust cover-don't know if it's supposed to.
But I'm so excited to get this!!!

Congratulations! I have the 1960 edition, with dust jacket, I purchased quite a few years ago at a yard sale for $1. Mine is blue with the same lettering as yours. Have fun with it.:)

Last edited:
When I first moved here I joined a cookbook club for the sole purpose of earning the points to get the latest Larousse. It would have been cheaper to just go and spend the $$, but it was a lot more fun buying the dozen or so cookbooks to earn it!!! Morocco ... Spain ... Vietnam. OK is there such a thing as Cookbooks Anon?? One of the 12 steps would be to cook at least one dish from a book I've only read every week.

Claire said:
When I first moved here I joined a cookbook club for the sole purpose of earning the points to get the latest Larousse. It would have been cheaper to just go and spend the $$, but it was a lot more fun buying the dozen or so cookbooks to earn it!!! Morocco ... Spain ... Vietnam. OK is there such a thing as Cookbooks Anon?? One of the 12 steps would be to cook at least one dish from a book I've only read every week.

I hope not. I joined a cookbook club for the same reason you did. Not for the Larousse book, something else. Actually, I did it twice. I joined for the required time, then unsubscribed. Waited about a year and rejoined. It was fun and overall I really didn't end up spending a whole lot on a bunch of great cookbooks. :-p

I think I've joined the good cook club about 5 times!!!
great way to get the newer books - make sure to buy during the buy one, get the rest at 50% off.....

my best deals though are at the thrift stores.... last year I picked up both volumes of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking for $1.50/each!

I just love it when I have a book on my wishlist that I know I probably won't be able to afford to get for a while and lo and behold, there it is at the thrift store. This has happened quite a few times lately. it's a GOD THING in my book.

This month, The Good Cook club says that all books are $9.99 + shipping ($1.99 I think).

I did not know that..... hmmmm..
(it doesn't show it on the website....)

I know they had delayed billing until January, I believe. nope, March
and shipping at $1.99 for all

i'll have to find my latest mailing...
do you know if homestyle books is offering the same deal??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom