What Size Cook Book do You Prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is just my $.02 worth, but I hate any book made into a spiral thing. Once you have opened it once they never go back just right and you end up fighting with them. You can't rapidly scan the pages and they get all hung up. They are only good for dumpster target practice after all the pages have been torn out from the turning of the pages full of all those little holes. Which is after they have laid around for a couple of years and gotten all dog eared because most of the pages have been half way torn out just by turning them. Spiral bookbinders should be wrapped in their own spirals and made to turn forever.

OK, I'm better now, I took my meds.

I like any size, style, format - I'm not a good one to ask but thought I would give my tid-bit of preference. :) If it's a book, then I like it! Good luck on the endeavor though, sounds like something to add to our collection in the future!

Actually, there is a field guide size set of cookbooks that are horribly tiny. I would never buy any of those books.

Other than that, I am fine. I like hard bound cookbooks better than spiral bound--those always tear and I loose sheets.

Just my 2 cents, Pie Susan

I really don't care about the size either.. but I do like them to lie flat and large print is WONDERFUL!!!!

I like to cook book, spiral and handy in size hmm approx not more than15xcm in all sides, and preferably light weight

Time/Life had a series of cookbooks of world cuisines back in the 70s. They had a large hard back book for the main text with a smaller spiral book with just the recipes. Both fit in a slip case. Really a great series and also a great idea as the recipe book was easy to use in the kitchen.

I have written 4 of my own, one for poultry, one for beef, a third for pork, and one for soups, stew, & chowders. These are all saved on my hard drive and on DVD's. I also have a host of recipes and techniques place in appropriate folders, and sub-folders on my computer. All are backed up to DVD. When I want something, I just look it up in the proper area, and print it off. That way, I don't have to juggle a book and fight to keep it open to just the right page. I don't have to worry about spilling anything on it. As for hard-copy, I like paperback sized books because they don't take up as much space. I particularly like my 1970's edition of "The Joy of Cooking", though the book is really falling apart after so many years. I rarely use it anymore though, and it's really the only cookbook I 've ever used. The rest of my cooking knowledge came through personal experimentation, experience, and alot of research on the internet and here at DC. But most of my really good stuff is on my hard drive.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have about 1000 cookbooks in my collection, and I use them frequently. Size is not important to me (except for extremely large or small books, which are awkward to use).

Here's what IS important, IMHO:

1. Large enough font to be easily read without a magnifying glass.

2. Easy to read font -- no script or other nonsense.

3. Each recipe on a single page, or at worst, on two facing pages; I hate cookbooks that require me to turn the page when my hands are covered with food.

4. Easy to follow instructions; I don't mean simple instructions, necessarily, but easy -- each step in a separate, preferably number paragraph.

5. Clear lists of ingredients, in the order they will be used, and preferably grouped by step (i.e., all the sauce ingredients in one group, the filling or whatever in another, the toppings in another); if you mean dried thyme, say dried, and if you mean fresh, say so.

6. Also helpful are weights in addition to volume measurements -- e.g., 1 cup of grated cheese (4 ounces).

7. Times can be helpful, especially for newbies -- "cream butter with sugar and beat for 5 minutes."

8. Photos can be helpful, but aren't essential.

9. I also dislike books that won't stay open in my cookbook holder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom