"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

thanks for the reply,

it did not come with any instructions. i threw away the packaging so did not know the brand

i am attaching a picture of the underside, i tried to turn the golden circular bit in the underside, it turns a lot and seems to be out to come out(did not turn it all the way), but it did not have any effect.

just called up the store (thanks for the advice, in future will call up the store), and they told me it is a itchencraft. googled for it and here is what i came up with
Kitchen Craft - Blowtorch Yellow UK

notes says "Notes, Supplied empty."

i guess i should be using something like this to refill it.
Sanmex Highly Refined Butane Gas UK

i have never filled a lighter before, but i guess it would be similar and as easy.

any gas i should avoid?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00184.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	5496  

Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Hmmm... if that picture is representative of the screw you turned until it came out, I wouldn`t even bother trying to fill it.
it`s not meant to come out, it`s the valves gas seal!
the little pin in the middle with the hole in it is where the butane gas can fills up the reservoir of the torch.
if you do fill this, Please, do it outside eh ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

thanks for the reply,

yes, the picture is representative of the screw that i turned which was coming out (it did not come out all the way)

you think by unscrewing it, i have ruined it?

i will indeed fill it outside. do you say that because of my unscrewing the pin out.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
Executive Chef

well, if you didn`t screw it back tight enough or it didn`t locate correctly, then expect a leak.
naturally if it Does leak, outside is the best place for that, a pair of gloves on would be a good idea too, Butane boils at a very low temp and can freeze your fingers.

that screw simply isn`t meant to be undone ;)

Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

thanks for the reply,

looks like a damaged it then :( (why was theer a screw like groove there in the first place ?:( )

it it does leak, i guess it would be a continuous leak, so it would no be safe to even keep the torch indoors with butance filled in it.

would butane start leaking out in gaseous form as soon as i fill in the liquid butane? would my fingers be frozen in a matter of seconds that i wont be able to react fast enough? would it injure my fingers?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
Executive Chef

So the lesson here today is. Read the instructions and save them or the manual on everything you buy. Never know when you need to check them again. Keep all your manuals in one place so you can find them quickly when you need them.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
Executive Chef

there`s a groove there for assembly at the factory.
yes, if it leaks it would continue to leak until it ran out of gas.
you`ll always get a little bit of butane spray when filling up most things, it won`t freeze your finger off, but if you get the liquid on you it may cause a little frost and remove skin oils, nothing major, but worth mentioning so you know what to expect and not to panic if it does happen.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

thanks for all the replies and all the info.

forewarned is forarmed.

it did not come wtih a manual in the first place :(

i did not unscrew it completely, just a few turns, so i am hopeful it is not dislocated out of some slot, will put some butance into it and see what happens

surroundings are not going to catch fire or anything, correct? just that the torches's usefulness at most, is going to be limited to a leaky torch, correct?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

My guess is that the screw could be reseated by screwing it back in. It looks like it contains the nipple that you use to fill the torch. Maybe different countries use a different standard nipple and it's the last thing at the factory they put in depending on where the torch is being shipped.... either way it looks like a removeable part that could be replaced.
Go ahead and fill the torch up and see if it leaks. This DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO LIGHT IT! Just see if it holds gas without leaking.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

thanks for the reply,

will fill it bu how do i know if it leaks.

noob question, but does butane smell? and if so will i be able to detect a tiny leak by smelling?