"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm diabetic. A scale for portion control in pretty much mandatory. For example, have you ever tried to measure 1/2 cup of dry spaghetti with a measuring cup?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I'm diabetic. A scale for portion control in pretty much mandatory. For example, have you ever tried to measure 1/2 cup of dry spaghetti with a measuring cup?
No. How do you measure 1/2 cup of dry spaghetti with a scale?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use a scale regularly. It has become indispensable for me. I am converting all my baking recipes to weights as I use them. I also use it for portion control and because I'm pretty anal dividing things evenly.
I'm with you, I wouldn't be without one. If I didn't weigh pasta before cooking it, I'd always cook too much.

I'm like you being anal about dividing things. Pizza dough, bread dough, cake batter. I also use it to weigh out portions from large packs of meat before sealing with my vacuum sealer, especially ground beef.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'm with you, I wouldn't be without one. If I didn't weigh pasta before cooking it, I'd always cook too much.

I'm like you being anal about dividing things. Pizza dough, bread dough, cake batter. I also use it to weigh out portions from large packs of meat before sealing with my vacuum sealer, especially ground beef.
Whether I'm making Bagels or meatballs I use a scale. I know most think that's totally unnecessary. It probably is, but I'm stuck with the need for accuracy. I guess that's why I was so good in accounting.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Our scale was originally purchased for weighing snakes in order to determine proper dosage of antibiotic (Inj) if needed. Our collection is now at two animals and the scale has become a kitchen device.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No. How do you measure 1/2 cup of dry spaghetti with a scale?
You convert 1/2 cup to 2 ounces.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Your diet tells you to cook a half cup of dry pasta. Did they tell you the weight equivalent or did you have to figure that out for yourself?

Have you tried the low carb pasta? We had tried Dreamfields and found it to be an excellent substitute for regular pasta.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
You looked that up, right? Otherwise you are confusing weight and volume.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
Head Chef

I have always used scales for cooking but recently started using cup measures. I was a bit flummoxed when confronted with measuring out "1 cup of butter". How do you measure cups in something that is neither dry (like flour and sugar), nor liquid? I suppose you have to wait for the butter to soften enough to scoop into the cup? Anyway, I thought most US recipes called for "sticks" of butter rather than cups?

All I can say is, it was messy! (But I managed).

Oh and yes, the tare feature is marvellously useful.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I have always used scales for cooking but recently started using cup measures. I was a bit flummoxed when confronted with measuring out "1 cup of butter". How do you measure cups in something that is neither dry (like flour and sugar), nor liquid? I suppose you have to wait for the butter to soften enough to scoop into the cup? Anyway, I thought most US recipes called for "sticks" of butter rather than cups?

All I can say is, it was messy! (But I managed).

Oh and yes, the tare feature is marvellously useful.
Katy, for future reference, a pound of butter equals 2 cups. Each quarter pound stick contains 8 tablespoons or a half cup.

Tags
food