"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,887
I'm diabetic. A scale for portion control in pretty much mandatory. For example, have you ever tried to measure 1/2 cup of dry spaghetti with a measuring cup?
__________________

__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I'm diabetic. A scale for portion control in pretty much mandatory. For example, have you ever tried to measure 1/2 cup of dry spaghetti with a measuring cup?
No. How do you measure 1/2 cup of dry spaghetti with a scale?
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use a scale regularly. It has become indispensable for me. I am converting all my baking recipes to weights as I use them. I also use it for portion control and because I'm pretty anal dividing things evenly.
I'm with you, I wouldn't be without one. If I didn't weigh pasta before cooking it, I'd always cook too much.

I'm like you being anal about dividing things. Pizza dough, bread dough, cake batter. I also use it to weigh out portions from large packs of meat before sealing with my vacuum sealer, especially ground beef.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'm with you, I wouldn't be without one. If I didn't weigh pasta before cooking it, I'd always cook too much.

I'm like you being anal about dividing things. Pizza dough, bread dough, cake batter. I also use it to weigh out portions from large packs of meat before sealing with my vacuum sealer, especially ground beef.
Whether I'm making Bagels or meatballs I use a scale. I know most think that's totally unnecessary. It probably is, but I'm stuck with the need for accuracy. I guess that's why I was so good in accounting.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,793
Our scale was originally purchased for weighing snakes in order to determine proper dosage of antibiotic (Inj) if needed. Our collection is now at two animals and the scale has become a kitchen device.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No. How do you measure 1/2 cup of dry spaghetti with a scale?
You convert 1/2 cup to 2 ounces.
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
You convert 1/2 cup to 2 ounces.

Your diet tells you to cook a half cup of dry pasta. Did they tell you the weight equivalent or did you have to figure that out for yourself?

Have you tried the low carb pasta? We had tried Dreamfields and found it to be an excellent substitute for regular pasta.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
You convert 1/2 cup to 2 ounces.
You looked that up, right? Otherwise you are confusing weight and volume.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
I have always used scales for cooking but recently started using cup measures. I was a bit flummoxed when confronted with measuring out "1 cup of butter". How do you measure cups in something that is neither dry (like flour and sugar), nor liquid? I suppose you have to wait for the butter to soften enough to scoop into the cup? Anyway, I thought most US recipes called for "sticks" of butter rather than cups?

All I can say is, it was messy! (But I managed).

Oh and yes, the tare feature is marvellously useful.
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I have always used scales for cooking but recently started using cup measures. I was a bit flummoxed when confronted with measuring out "1 cup of butter". How do you measure cups in something that is neither dry (like flour and sugar), nor liquid? I suppose you have to wait for the butter to soften enough to scoop into the cup? Anyway, I thought most US recipes called for "sticks" of butter rather than cups?

All I can say is, it was messy! (But I managed).

Oh and yes, the tare feature is marvellously useful.
Katy, for future reference, a pound of butter equals 2 cups. Each quarter pound stick contains 8 tablespoons or a half cup.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.