Garlic Press - What's Good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itzalgud

Cook
Does anyone know the brand mane of a good garlic press? I'm so tired of the ones that seem to be made of alum foil.

Years ago I bought one recommended by the Frugal Gourmet on TV. It was made in Italy I think. It was heavy duty and solid...and worked great.
I bought it at a kitchen supply specialty store (no longer live in that town) but I don't know the brand name of it. Any suggestions? Or just where to buy a good garlic press?

Last edited:
I'm sorry my ignorance (or old age) is showing...but what's a micro plane?

(Thanks Andy M. for the Zyliss recommendation. I'll check it out)

I use the Zyliss. I love it except for one thing. I think that the part where you load the garlic is too small. I have a micro-plane too. I just got the little grater attatchment. I will have to try it with garlic. I have used a garlic press for so long that I forgot about the micro-plane.

We've had a Zyliss for over 20 years (on the Frug's advice)
Just learned you don't have to peel the cloves. When you open it up after pressing, it comes out in one piece and leaves the press pretty clean!

Yep - America's Test Kitchen did a test of garlic presses and said the only one that really worked was a Zyliss - and that is what they use. If I remember right, "The Frug" not only gave the okey-dokey to the Zyliss on TV - I "think" it is also listed in the recommendations for cookware, tools and gadgets at the front of most (9 of 11?) of his cookbooks ... sorry, I still have not found the boxes with my cookbooks since the move.

A "Microplane" is a very fine grater - originally a woodworking tool that some cleaver chef realized was a great tool for zesting (it didn't clog like the zester side of a boix grater) and it became an instant hit! Of course, you can now find it in cookery stores for much more than it originally cost when purchased from a hardware store.

The difference between a garlic press and a microplane is that one "presses" and the other "grates".

Yep, use chef knife to press my garlic. I bought a garlic press many years ago and it was more work than whacking it with my knife and mincing. So no more press!!!

Garlic press?? Micro Plane????

When I did my C&G 7061/2 the method for garlic prep was with the knife. What's going on with all these gadgets? Washing up - ecologically unsound and what a palavar.

Chop Chop CRUSH SMEAR - that's the way.

I think most gadgets stem from someone in some kitchen somewhere saying "theres gotta be a better way to do this!" Sometimes they are right, the trick is sifting thru the garbage to find the really good and really useful tools.
Space is at a premium in my tiny kitchen, and like Alton Brown I have a tendency to shy away 'multi' or 'all' purpose tools. So, often I just use the chop chop crush smear method as well LOL.

I remember J. Smith explaining what to look for in a garlic press, one having a rugged construction and pivoting ram. I don't remember him saying Zyliss. It's been a while.

Since then I have had a handful of garlic presses of varying construction, some worked better than others. Some didn't work very well at all.

I kept going back to the knife and I think I'm going to stick with the knife from now on.

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. The Zyliss is the one I was trying to think of in my original post. I remember I liked it at the time but it disappeared over the years and relocations. I bought and threw away a couple of other brands since then...just too flimsy.
Thanks again to all.

microplanes are great for garlic, ginger, nutmeg, zesting and a lot of other things..a lot easier and faster than chopping most stuff to me.

I always think I waste so much of the garlic clove with the press, I don't have one anymore. I just mince really fine in my Zyliss chopper thing, I love it!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom