"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #21
Master Chef

Do not like Press & Seal. I tend to wrap things for storage with hands that are slightly damp from washing, and didn't get a good seal. Do like Glad Cling Wrap because of the packaging. Makes it easier to use. Different wraps for different purposes. Aluminum foil onlly for cooking. For storage I like to be able to see what's inside. Use a lot of seal baggies in several sizes: sandwich, quart, gallon, and two gallon.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I like it but only use it to store food in the freezer. We live about 25 miles from the nearest full-service grocery store and I shop every two weeks. Because of that, I shop the sales and buy in some quantity. It's only the two of us here, so a pound of good quality bacon lasts a while. I divide the bacon into breakfast-sized portions and seal in Press 'n Seal, then pop the whole pound into a zipper lock bag. Do the same thing with pork chops, chicken breasts, etc.

I don't particularly care for using it in the refrigerator because, as others have noted, once it's been "unstuck" it doesn't lend itself to resealing. I'm just a good old Tupperware girl and use that most of the time.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
It's only the two of us here, so a pound of good quality bacon lasts a while. I divide the bacon into breakfast-sized portions and seal in Press 'n Seal, then pop the whole pound into a zipper lock bag. Do the same thing with pork chops, chicken breasts, etc.
I do the same thing with regular plastic wrap. IMO, P and S is too $$ and at least I tend to find that I waste a lot of it because of the size of the roll. I haven't found it to be any better in performance than plastic wrap.

Why do you use Press and Seal? You must like it better, eh?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I do like it better for my purposes. I get a better seal for the freezer. I compare it to a ravioli seal. I can press out most or all of the air around the piece of food and then press the open space down to securely seal.

I also have regular plastic wrap that I use for more "disposable" reasons. I'm very careful how I tear off the Press 'n Seal and can usually have a roll last 6 months or more. I've been using it since it came out and I have only bought about 3, maybe 4, rolls. I'm also a cheap, most would say frugal, shopper and try to use a coupon (doubled) when I buy it.