Good Cook Precision Digital Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acmebulldogs

Assistant Cook
I purchased a Good Cook Precision Digital Thermometer (to be left in while cooking; has an alarm feature). It works ok, the alarm feature is great... however, I can't figure out how to turn it off! So I have to take the battery out every time.. its a real pain.

There are only 4 buttons on the front... temp up/down and alarm set on/off. There is a button on the back for Celcius/Fahrenheit. Thinking it was so simple to operate, I threw the packaging away.

Is there a way to turn this off without removing the battery? Their website is of no use.

Thanks

I had one until not too long ago, my kids broke it. I'm thinking it had a stop button, but mine was older, about 6 years ago I bought it.
Ok I'm no help. Sorry.

I had a Polder thermometer like that. There was no on/off switch. I just left it on all the time. I no longer use that thermometer as it did not work well at all and my guess is that the batteries were always low.

Thanks

Thanks! You're probably right... it might be wise to invest in a good one at this point. This is my first one like this, and I love using it (vs setting a timer on the oven)... so now that I'm hooked, I'll have to find a good one that will last a while.

Again, thanks for your response!

Polder makes very good ones. I would recommend that brand. Just make sure it has an on off switch.

Thanks! You're probably right...

He is. I had the same brand (bought it from Meijer's, if memory serves) and the only way to "turn it off" was to pop out the battery. It was a hassle, and I started doubting its accuracy right from the get-go. I still keep the probe. I'm thinking of jacking around with my multimeter to see if I can make it into a MacGuyver-esque thermocouple or thermistor. I guess it's not really like MacGuyver since I wouldn't be joining a nickel-chromium wire from an electric furnace with a nickel-aluminum wire from something that uses that kind of alloy and running the voltage through a voltmeter made from the fusebox of a 1980 Chevy Monza.

Last edited:
I just found the remains of mine, I guess it was Pyrex. Not expensive, and it would still be working, but it had a little magnet on the back to keep it on the fridge. My boys decided to use it as the top of the tower for thier magnet set, and it goofed up the electronics for the readout and my temp was all over the place.
So, moral of the story, don't play with the magnet set near it!

Back
Top Bottom