"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Good peeler for peaches?

What is a good peeler for peaches and other fruits with soft skins? I heard that the Kuhn Rikon was excellent but I thought I would ask here. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I scald them for about 60 seconds in boiling water. No peeler needed. The skins slide right off.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I scald them for about 60 seconds in boiling water. No peeler needed. The skins slide right off.
Thanks! I've seen that method demonstrated on youtube, but I would like to get a peeler. There is a cooking gas outage in my building and I'm trying to avoid using the cheap electric portable burners they gave us.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Any sharp serrated peeler will do the job. One year my daughter gave me her whole harvest from her peach tree. I made jelly with it. I too preferred to peel them as to the hot water and X method.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Any sharp serrated peeler will do the job. One year my daughter gave me her whole harvest from her peach tree. I made jelly with it. I too preferred to peel them as to the hot water and X method.
Thanks Addie! This is the one I think I'm going to get:

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Pi...piranha+peeler
Old 08-24-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
Master Chef

I use my Zwilling paring knife. Properly sharpened, a paring knife can work for all small-tool jobs. I'd just spend the money on some fresh, just-ripe peaches.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks Addie! This is the one I think I'm going to get:

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Pi...piranha+peeler
That is a good make. I prefer this type of peeler. https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Pi...2RMVJ84RBRDDTG It is the only shape that was available when I was a child and my mother had me learn how to peel. She had that standard all metal one. I learned to peel away from myself. So that shape has always been perfect for me. (And it takes up less room in the drawer.)
Old 08-24-2016, 12:15 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That is a good make. I prefer this type of peeler. https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Pi...2RMVJ84RBRDDTG It is the only shape that was available when I was a child and my mother had me learn how to peel. She had that standard all metal one. I learned to peel away from myself. So that shape has always been perfect for me. (And it takes up less room in the drawer.)
I might get that one as well. I saw the one I posted demonstrated in a youtube video, and it looks like it's better for larger veggies like eggplant. Here's the link to the video:
Old 08-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I did watch a few different videos regarding different peelers. I can see the advantage to the one you are getting. It makes for broad peeling large veggies. I use my serrated one for everything though. It makes peeling go so much faster. I also have the one that you can cut the food into match sticks. I very rarely use it though.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
Head Chef

I'm suprised those kinds of peelers work on peaches. Not very ripe ones anyway. I'm in the scald and/or sharp paring knife camp myself.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peaches