"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Infrared Tempgun For Cooking?

Hi,
Since i have Snake as pets and i bought an infrared tempgun , is it possible to use it for cooking? for example since i moved out and now i have a gas oven , can i use the tempgun to see how much temp is the oven? and also have anyone had expirience checking how done is the food with one?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Normally, it's not the exterior temperature that you're concerned with, but the internal temperature of the thickest part. An infrared temp gun is pretty useless in cooking unless you're interested in making candy, in which case it would come in handy.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Cook

agree that its not the most useful thing in the kitchen, but you could still use it for determining how hot a pan or griddle is (could be helpful with things like pancakes), how hot frying oil is (or any liquid, including candy, for that matter), or unexpected laser tag attacks

you mentioned the oven, and i dont think it work to well for that....i believe that the laser would wind up reading the walls or floor of the oven, and not the actual temperature INSIDE the oven....of course, those two things are related and may be the same, but there are more reliable ways to test oven temp.....a simple oven thermometer (the kind meant to stay inside the oven, not a meat probe) would be better for that

so i personally wouldn't buy one solely for cooking, but i would surely enjoy playing with one and figuring out ways to use it while cooking if i already had one!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
agree that its not the most useful thing in the kitchen, but you could still use it for determining how hot a pan or griddle is (could be helpful with things like pancakes), how hot frying oil is (or any liquid, including candy, for that matter), or unexpected laser tag attacks

you mentioned the oven, and i dont think it work to well for that....i believe that the laser would wind up reading the walls or floor of the oven, and not the actual temperature INSIDE the oven....of course, those two things are related and may be the same, but there are more reliable ways to test oven temp.....a simple oven thermometer (the kind meant to stay inside the oven, not a meat probe) would be better for that

so i personally wouldn't buy one solely for cooking, but i would surely enjoy playing with one and figuring out ways to use it while cooking if i already had one!
yes thats why i asked cause i said i have snakes and i had to buy one so i can play a bit with it in cooking and maybe somebody already had some expirience with it.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
just keep it clean, reptiles can carry solmonella
danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Head Chef

I have been been thinking about getting one of these. There are times that knowing the surface temperature of a cooking skillet would be useful. Wok oil temperature would be nice to know, and this would be instant. Oven temps vary from one side to the other, and oven thermometers are often inaccurate. Checking the temp of the rack in various locations would help. Grill thermos measure the temp of the lid. I don't cook there. My interest started after an Alton Brown show, and I was playing with roasting coffee the old fashioned way, in a CI pot. What I found is that the devices vary widely in price, and I could find no recommendations anywhere.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
just keep it clean, reptiles can carry solmonella
its a non contact thermometre
Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
its a non contact thermometre
I know but you still have to be carefull
danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
I know but you still have to be carefull
be more careful of the people you live with

i got one too .. to check temps in my bearded dragon cage (u dont have to touch the cage to get readings)

anyway, i've found it to come in very handy ... checking temps of oil or the pan not to mention other things around the house
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I received an infrared tempgun for Christmas a couple of years ago and I have been wondering how to utilize it in the kitchen. Thanks for the ideas. I'll use it next time I make fudge. Besides the skillet and oil temp, has anyone found other uses? Just curious...