"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Maybe it's just me being lazy, but I like the bags of frozen potatoes already grated for hash browns.

That sounds really convenient! I haven't seen organic purple potatoes grated and frozen, but it would be great if I could find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It looks like that Oxo thing will do the trick. I use a box grater regularly for cheese, potatoes, carrots, etc. A quick rinse usually gets it clean enough to put in the dishwasher.

Awesome! I usually make hash browns with one or two small potatoes at a time, which is why the Oxo grater could be perfect.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

kg, RP's suggestion to wash/soak immediately is a good one. I do that even though I use a flat grater. When I did use a box grater, I found a long-handled dish brush useful. Personally, I think the holes in the grater you linked to in your first post might be too small - or they look that way because of the position of the slots. I found one with holes similar in size to what I use, and at less than half the price of the BB&B one. Then again, it looks like it could be a dangerous site to browse...
Tablecraft SG206BH Stainless Steel Flat Grater

Welcome to DC, LazyEngineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
...Oddly enough, hashbrowns are one of the areas where I would happily go through the extra steps to make fresh rather than buy the frozen bags...
Kayelle, can I chime in here, too? When another member asked what to do with 100 pounds of potatoes he had to move along, I went hunting for answers. I found an article that said you can use almost-baked potatoes for making hash browns. Like you, I always used the frozen product. However, I had the oven going, knew I had room, and had an chit-load of russet potatoes. (That's what happens when you THINK you need them, buy two bags because they are BOGO, then come home to 7# of potatoes...) and needed to move some along. I tossed four of them into the oven, baked until they were about 75-80% done, and chilled them overnight. I did peel them since the skins were already pulling away from the pulp, grated them, and froze in a single layer on a baking sheet. Poured them into a freezer bag. I've used them a couple of times. They seem to taste a little more potato-y. Also, they're cheap - and so am I.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
Sous Chef

ISO alternative to box grater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
kg, RP's suggestion to wash/soak immediately is a good one. I do that even though I use a flat grater. When I did use a box grater, I found a long-handled dish brush useful. Personally, I think the holes in the grater you linked to in your first post might be too small - or they look that way because of the position of the slots. I found one with holes similar in size to what I use, and at less than half the price of the BB&B one. Then again, it looks like it could be a dangerous site to browse...

I think you may be right about the holes being too small on the Oxo. Also they're a different shape. I would love to have that Tablecraft grater. Shipping is pretty pricey on that site however. Maybe I can find it somewhere else.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:

Welcome to DC, LazyEngineer.

Kayelle, can I chime in here, too? When another member asked what to do with 100 pounds of potatoes he had to move along, I went hunting for answers. I found an article that said you can use almost-baked potatoes for making hash browns. Like you, I always used the frozen product. However, I had the oven going, knew I had room, and had an chit-load of russet potatoes. (That's what happens when you THINK you need them, buy two bags because they are BOGO, then come home to 7# of potatoes...) and needed to move some along. I tossed four of them into the oven, baked until they were about 75-80% done, and chilled them overnight. I did peel them since the skins were already pulling away from the pulp, grated them, and froze in a single layer on a baking sheet. Poured them into a freezer bag. I've used them a couple of times. They seem to taste a little more potato-y. Also, they're cheap - and so am I.
That sounds reasonable CG if you had an abundance of potatoes to use up. Partly baking them and then grating for cooking would also mean that you wouldn't have the problem of raw grated potatoes turning a nasty color before you could fry them up. That's a real turn off for me. On the other hand, if you're working with raw purple potatoes to start with..well...
Glad you chimed in CG!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
.....I found an article that said you can use almost-baked potatoes for making hash browns. Like you, I always used the frozen product. However, I had the oven going, knew I had room, and had an chit-load of russet potatoes. (That's what happens when you THINK you need them, buy two bags because they are BOGO, then come home to 7# of potatoes...) and needed to move some along. I tossed four of them into the oven, baked until they were about 75-80% done, and chilled them overnight. I did peel them since the skins were already pulling away from the pulp, grated them, and froze in a single layer on a baking sheet. Poured them into a freezer bag. I've used them a couple of times. They seem to taste a little more potato-y. Also, they're cheap - and so am I.
If I'm out of pre-shredded frozen potatoes, that's how I do it, too. You just have to be careful that the baked potatoes are baked enough to be semi-soft, but not so soft that they won't shred in a grater. Sometimes, at least for me, it's been kind of hit or miss. If they're a little too done to shred nicely, they're still good fried up. Kind of like a fried potato pancake. They do freeze nicely as you say, on a baking sheet and then packaged up.

I've NEVER had any luck with shredding potatoes and immediately making hash browns with them. There's still too much starch in them and they've ended up gummy. No bueno.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I've NEVER had any luck with shredding potatoes and immediately making hash browns with them. There's still too much starch in them and they've ended up gummy. No bueno.
I agree Cheryl. The last time I grated raw potatoes I read if you soak them in cold water to remove some of the starch, then drain them in a colander, and then rang out the water from them in a dish cloth, they had started turning that weird color and that was the last time I ever messed with them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I agree Cheryl. The last time I grated raw potatoes I read if you soak them in cold water to remove some of the starch, then drain them in a colander, and then rang out the water from them in a dish cloth, they had started turning that weird color and that was the last time I ever messed with them.
Yes, and that is entirely too much work!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
... i've shredded my knuckles on the manual ones a few time.
You need these

Amazon.com: NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves - High Performance Level 5 Protection, Food Grade. Size Small, Free Ebook Included!: Kitchen & Dining

You can also find them at your local kitchen store.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #20
Head Chef

You guys do realize that the potatoes will turn back to white once the heat hits them? I usually grate (with the box grater) the potatoes, salt and pepper them liberally, mix in with hands, then let them sit on the board while I start the bacon/sausage, whatevers. When it's time to cook, I pick up a handful, squeeze the liquid out and plop the handful into the saute pan if I want individual hashbrown cakes. If I want just a whole bunch of hashbrowns, I'll just squeeze them all, putting each handful in a bowl until they are all done and then fry. Yes, they've started to turn color but they go back to white while cooking.

Incidentally, I'm a rinse off the box grater as soon as I'm done grating the potatoes too. Same way with the masher for mashed potatoes. No point in letting that stuff dry and make it that much harder to get off. I'm also a wash as you goer too when I have a couple extra minutes here and there.

Interesting about the partially bake, grate and freeze. I'll have to try that next time we have too many potatoes and they are in danger of sprouting.