"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #51
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,042
By that logic, freefallin, we should replace our tile and granite counter tops with stainless steel and begin wearing hairnets in the kitchen.
__________________

__________________
Scotch is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #52
Senior Cook
 
freefallin1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 280
You need to think further than that I'm afraid, stainless steel dulls blades and yes, if you have a lot of hair, you should wear a hair net .. nothing more gross than having a stranger's hair in your food.
__________________

__________________
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #53
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,380
Back to the topic at hand...

So, do any of you folks have anything to say about whether or not kitchen gadgets belong in any kitchen?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now  
Old 04-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #54
Senior Cook
 
freefallin1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 280
I think they all have they place. The OP mentioned no plastic spatulas, is there a reason for this? Not all of our pots and pans are stainless or CI, so metal spatulas do some damage to them. I'm all for convenience and efficiency as long as it's not at the cost of quality.
__________________
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #55
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 623
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Something or other is bound to get us all. Too much coffee, too much sex, too much chocolate, too many cigars, too much booze. So we cut it all out and get hit by a bus as we cross the street. The plastics industry (except maybe in that large Asian country) works diligently to make safe products for us to use. Life is too short to worry about a millimicrogram of some multi poly di benzo molecule. Personally I want to go like grandpa, quietly in his sleeep and not yelling and screaming like the other three people in the car he was driving. It's a beautiful day today get outside and plant something.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:r ofl:

I hope that was intended to be funny, because I am cryin right
now! Grandpa! WOOT!!
__________________
ellakav is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #56
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
...You should take your argument to the NSF International people, those that regulate global safety and health for the culinary profession ... in other words, the people who cook your food when you go out. The plastic death boards we bought the other day from a national restaurant supply chain is stamped with their name, and I don't recall seeing any wooden cutting boards in there either.
It appears that the NSF has considered the issue and concluded that there is no difference in safety between wood and plastic cutting boards. Indeed, it HAS certified the wood boards from a number of manufacturers, including John Boos (click HERE and scroll to bottom of page), the Michigan Maple Block Company and Bally Block Company (click here).

The Michigan Maple Block Company's site includes a press release issued in August 1993 in which the NSF announced its conclusion, based on scientific research, that the is no difference in safety between wood and plastic cutting boards. Here's the link: CLICK ME

State and local regulations governing restaurant and food preparation facilities may require plastic cutting boards, but that fact alone doesn't mean that they're any safer than wood cutting boards, especially for home use, as the NSF itself has apparently concluded.
__________________
Scotch is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #57
Senior Cook
 
freefallin1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
It appears that the NSF has considered the issue and concluded that there is no difference in safety between wood and plastic cutting boards.

The Michigan Maple Block Company's site includes a press release issued in August 1993 in which the NSF announced its conclusion, based on scientific research, that the is no difference in safety between wood and plastic cutting boards. Here's the link: CLICK ME

I thought everyone had agreed to that already ...
__________________
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #58
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
I think they all have they place. The OP mentioned no plastic spatulas, is there a reason for this? Not all of our pots and pans are stainless or CI, so metal spatulas do some damage to them. I'm all for convenience and efficiency as long as it's not at the cost of quality.
Apparently very few plastic utensils are NSF certified, and as far as I can determine, the NSF has not certified cast iron cookware unless it has an enamel- or nickel-coated surface -- which to my mind makes it something other than CI.
__________________
Scotch is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #59
Head Chef
 
Scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
I thought everyone had agreed to that already ...
Really! That wasn't clear from your posts.
__________________
Scotch is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #60
Senior Cook
 
freefallin1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Really! That wasn't clear from your posts.

This post is post 60, here is my quote from post 33:

Quote:
If you maintain your cutting boards properly, there shouldn't be any bacteria present ... wood or plastic.
And I believe a few have agreed since then. You on the other hand wish to press one over the other and I was merely pointing out wood is not as good as you say, nor is plastic as bad. Either are good enough to cook on as long as you maintain them. I've already stated this before you mentioned anything in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch
Apparently very few plastic utensils are NSF certified, and as far as I can determine, the NSF has not certified cast iron cookware unless it has an enamel- or nickel-coated surface -- which to my mind makes it something other than CI.
I didn't know this, thank you, that's why I asked. But a CI skillet coated in nickel or enamel is a rose by another name...
__________________

__________________
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cooking tools, kitchen gadget

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.