"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #51
Head Chef

By that logic, freefallin, we should replace our tile and granite counter tops with stainless steel and begin wearing hairnets in the kitchen.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #52
Senior Cook

You need to think further than that I'm afraid, stainless steel dulls blades and yes, if you have a lot of hair, you should wear a hair net .. nothing more gross than having a stranger's hair in your food.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #53
Certified Pretend Chef

Back to the topic at hand...

So, do any of you folks have anything to say about whether or not kitchen gadgets belong in any kitchen?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #54
Senior Cook

I think they all have they place. The OP mentioned no plastic spatulas, is there a reason for this? Not all of our pots and pans are stainless or CI, so metal spatulas do some damage to them. I'm all for convenience and efficiency as long as it's not at the cost of quality.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #55
Sous Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Something or other is bound to get us all. Too much coffee, too much sex, too much chocolate, too many cigars, too much booze. So we cut it all out and get hit by a bus as we cross the street. The plastics industry (except maybe in that large Asian country) works diligently to make safe products for us to use. Life is too short to worry about a millimicrogram of some multi poly di benzo molecule. Personally I want to go like grandpa, quietly in his sleeep and not yelling and screaming like the other three people in the car he was driving. It's a beautiful day today get outside and plant something.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:r ofl:

I hope that was intended to be funny, because I am cryin right
now! Grandpa! WOOT!!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
...You should take your argument to the NSF International people, those that regulate global safety and health for the culinary profession ... in other words, the people who cook your food when you go out. The plastic death boards we bought the other day from a national restaurant supply chain is stamped with their name, and I don't recall seeing any wooden cutting boards in there either.
It appears that the NSF has considered the issue and concluded that there is no difference in safety between wood and plastic cutting boards. Indeed, it HAS certified the wood boards from a number of manufacturers, including John Boos (click HERE and scroll to bottom of page), the Michigan Maple Block Company and Bally Block Company (click here).

The Michigan Maple Block Company's site includes a press release issued in August 1993 in which the NSF announced its conclusion, based on scientific research, that the is no difference in safety between wood and plastic cutting boards. Here's the link: CLICK ME

State and local regulations governing restaurant and food preparation facilities may require plastic cutting boards, but that fact alone doesn't mean that they're any safer than wood cutting boards, especially for home use, as the NSF itself has apparently concluded.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #57
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
It appears that the NSF has considered the issue and concluded that there is no difference in safety between wood and plastic cutting boards.

The Michigan Maple Block Company's site includes a press release issued in August 1993 in which the NSF announced its conclusion, based on scientific research, that the is no difference in safety between wood and plastic cutting boards. Here's the link: CLICK ME

I thought everyone had agreed to that already ...
Old 04-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
I think they all have they place. The OP mentioned no plastic spatulas, is there a reason for this? Not all of our pots and pans are stainless or CI, so metal spatulas do some damage to them. I'm all for convenience and efficiency as long as it's not at the cost of quality.
Apparently very few plastic utensils are NSF certified, and as far as I can determine, the NSF has not certified cast iron cookware unless it has an enamel- or nickel-coated surface -- which to my mind makes it something other than CI.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
I thought everyone had agreed to that already ...
Really! That wasn't clear from your posts.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #60
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Really! That wasn't clear from your posts.

This post is post 60, here is my quote from post 33:

Quote:
If you maintain your cutting boards properly, there shouldn't be any bacteria present ... wood or plastic.
And I believe a few have agreed since then. You on the other hand wish to press one over the other and I was merely pointing out wood is not as good as you say, nor is plastic as bad. Either are good enough to cook on as long as you maintain them. I've already stated this before you mentioned anything in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch
Apparently very few plastic utensils are NSF certified, and as far as I can determine, the NSF has not certified cast iron cookware unless it has an enamel- or nickel-coated surface -- which to my mind makes it something other than CI.
I didn't know this, thank you, that's why I asked. But a CI skillet coated in nickel or enamel is a rose by another name...

Tags
cooking tools, kitchen gadget