"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

MegaWare

My wife cooks a lot. And its good food. Very very good. She had a skillet, a Megaware 11.5 inch Gas/Electric/Induction skillet. She found it at a second-hand store she tells me, and I had no idea how attached she was to it, until the handle gave out on her. She told me to fix it, and its not going to happen. Bolts are stripped, plastic is broken. The item can no longer continue with the handle it came with. I'm not kidding here. We're not kids, she's had three pantry bandits and is as steady as stone, but she spoke in long-suffering martyr-type terms about me not being able to fix this handle. Logic says, find the damn thing on E-Bay and get a new one. No Joy. Either it is no longer manufactured, or they are hording them somewhere deep in the heart of Spain, the nation stamped on the bottom of this thing.

Help.

If you folks can suggest either a place where I can find the 11.5 diameter, 2 inch deep Megaware skillet, or a replacement, I Am Doomed.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I understand your need for a miracle SC. Could you post a photo or two?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'm having a little bit of a challenge posting the pix I just took. The base has, on the edge, 'Gas Electric, Induction'. She's telling me, 'don't be silly, I'll go and hit the Salvation Army again'. Apparently the angle of the the side has some magical qualities as well. Heat surface base would be something like 8.75 inches, maybe a little less. Give me a little time the best way to post pix. I certainly appreciate the quick response.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Hopefully you can click on this and get it to a reasonable size.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
Head Chef

I found this. It's about the only one that really seems to have a frying pan. I don't know if it's anything like the one she wants, but here's the link:

Megaware pans

I see you posted while I was looking. I don't think that these are like that. By the way, the photos aren't clickable.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Rick,

Thanks for the input, sorry about the pix. If you come across anything, please let me know. Meanwhile, in searching for more options, I came across the Padermo carbon steel 12 inch frying pan. Its a little bigger, while actually being more shallow, if I'm reading the dimensions right. Not outrageously priced, at Overstock. I certainly don't expect anyone to know about this particular skillet, but perhaps some insight into carbon steel. The reviews of it are rhapsodic at Amazon.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like deBuyer Carbon steel, it can be seen here: de Buyer Mineral Pan, Fry Pan | CHEFScatalog.com

Chef's also has their own brand of carbon steel: CHEFS Carbon Steel Fry Pan | CHEFScatalog.com

The Chef's is about half the price and has handle covers.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Megaware

I ran across your post looking for an answer about another pan in this set. I have the one you are looking for and also in looking for my answer, that I didn't find, I found where I do believe you can get another for your wife, although it may not be the made in Spain one it is of the Heavy Gauge Steel
Teflon® Non-Stick Interior Porcelain Enamel Exterior
It is under Maxima and seems Megaware filed and received a trademark on it years ago but did not respond back maybe because of something to do with imports from Spain becoming to costly, Im not sure. I read that Megaware LLC produces Megaware cookware, but it is actually owned and sold by Hertiage Mint. But also read that Megaware is a Parent company of Hertiage or something to that sort. Anyway I love mine. And one of mine feels the same but does not have Spain on it or anything else for that matter except Megaware, the reason for my hunt, and a newer stove... I am not so sure on this cut copy paste stuff, but Im going to try.... Heritage Mint, Ltd. - MAXIMA 11.5" Open Fry Pan - Blue - Z56005
heritagemint.com/Z56006.html
MAXIMA
11.5" Open Fry Pan - Blue

Item# Z56006
Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Well after looking closer at yours, this may not be the one.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I like deBuyer Carbon steel, it can be seen here: de Buyer Mineral Pan, Fry Pan | CHEFScatalog.com

Chef's also has their own brand of carbon steel: CHEFS Carbon Steel Fry Pan | CHEFScatalog.com

The Chef's is about half the price and has handle covers.
Chef's catalog has gone out of business.