"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #11
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
you still type quite well, alix.
Amazing what you can do with a pencil between your teeth BT.

Seriously though, I think mine is one of those "You Saw it on TV" jobs. It was my Mom's and she gave it to me. I have no complaints about it, the thing is pretty danged sharp, just don't use it with wet fingers BT.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Andy, that is the same one I have. I've had it for many years and the blades on the Vpart aren't as sharp as they were. I still use it, but it is a bit harder to use. I'll probably get another of the same kind. Thanks a bunch.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi Bucky - I paid a lot for it but I love my Bron Marque - a few things IMHO don't work well when made of plastic - a garlic press, one of those cheese graters like some Italian restaurants use to grate Parmesan cheese on your food, and a mandolin. You can really fine-tune the thickness/thinness of things and make perfect waffle fries or carrots. The sharpness of the blades is what made me switch. You just have to get used to using a shorter stroke so the guide doesn't run off the top but it's easy to get used to. Potatoes Dauphinois just can't get any easier, nor can paper thin cucumbers in vinegar and sour cream.

This is a really good price.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Oxo.

This one has served me very well since I got it last summer. It's very good and cleanup's a snap! The parts can be disassembled to aid in fast cleanup.

Watch out for the blades on these items though, as they are razor-sharp and extremely dangerous!!

~Corey123.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I've got one from Linens & Things that Wifey bought for me some time ago. It pretty much stays in the box it came in and sits in the cupboard. The blade isn't sharp enough. A tomato turns to mush when sliced since it can't cut the skin and carrots seem to snap in half before they get cut. It does slice potatos decent but I can do that just as fast with my knife anyways. The cuts may not all be exactly the same size but who cares. It looks more homemade that way.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks everyone. i ended up getting the oxo for a gift. i'm going to use it saturday night, for a special new years eve dinner. now i just have to come up with an idea for what to make.
the entree is either going to be lobster or red snapper, depending on which looks better, stuffed with shrimp and crab. i might also make monkfish en brodo, or chunks of monk in a light tomato/saffron/roasted garlic broth, with julienne of carrot and fennel.

anyone have any recipe for a good (mostly seafood) stuffing?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Never made any seafood stuffing, but I think you'll enjoy the Oxo mandeline though.

~Corey123.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
thanks everyone. i ended up getting the oxo for a gift. i'm going to use it saturday night, for a special new years eve dinner. now i just have to come up with an idea for what to make.
the entree is either going to be lobster or red snapper, depending on which looks better, stuffed with shrimp and crab. i might also make monkfish en brodo, or chunks of monk in a light tomato/saffron/roasted garlic broth, with julienne of carrot and fennel.

anyone have any recipe for a good (mostly seafood) stuffing?
I think it would be kinda hard to get a lobster through the mandolin
Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #19
Executive Chef

If it doesn't work out, you can borrow my ukelele.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I use 3 different mandolins at work depending on the job and the desired end product. I use my Benriner for finer Julianne slices of almost anything. ( great for long thin strands of cantaloupe to toss with prosciutto ham or for a great fruit salsa ), I use my Broner V slicer for tomatoes and onion slices. We use a commercial Bron mandolin for the grunt work like slicing cases of potatoes and Julianne slices of squash and zucchinis by the case.