"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Oven thermomters...

It seems my oven cooks in faster than the prescribed time on low temperatures and slower on high temperatures. Would an oven themomter be a worthwhile investment, or should I just keep checking the temps with a meat thermometer like I'm doing now?

Old 09-15-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

An oven thermometer would definitely be good investment. If there is something wrong with your oven temperature it needs to be fixed or adjusted. Having an oven thermometer would let you know how much your termperature is off up or down. Also, if you can't get your oven fixed or adjusted, at least with the oven thermometer you would always have the correct oven temperature to bake, roast, etc.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Hey....

Oven therms are a good thing to have on hand. But also check for "hotspots". set oven rack in the middle set oven to 250-275 put a piece of bread in each corner of oven rack and 1 in the middle, check for browness after 5 mins.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
Hey....

Oven therms are a good thing to have on hand. But also check for "hotspots". set oven rack in the middle set oven to 250-275 put a piece of bread in each corner of oven rack and 1 in the middle, check for browness after 5 mins.
What a good idea--I never thought of this. I have a suspected hot spot in one back corner that I've been cooking "around," so this will confirm it one way or another.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
Sous Chef

It's an old trick, predates recalibration. LOL, no I'm not that old but I read it years ago.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Another solution to hotspots is the use of a baking stone. My oven has a hotspot towards the back, which means things brown more quickly the further they are pushed in. I used to rotate my breads to avoid uneven baking. Now that I bake my breads on a baking stone, no rotation is necessary. I have even seen cookbooks that recommend leaving a baking stone in the oven permanently, as a means of ensuring even baking. This means, even if you were making, say a roast chicken, you would leave the roasting pan on top of the stone. I haven't gone this far, but it is worth considering.

And YES, for God's sake, buy an oven thermometer. My oven runs about 25 degrees hotter than the dial says, and if I hadn't bought a thermometer, I never would have known. Now I don't even need to use the thermometer, as I can make the adjustments manually, but the information was invaluable.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Ya know what? I have a baking stone in my oven and I keep forgetting to use it.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I use a oven thermometer(cost me 5 bucks)and a pizza stone for 8 bucks. Keep the stone in the oven all the time. You will notice a difference when cooking.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:11 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
Hey....

Another good way of testing for hot spots is to cover a cookie sheet in foil and then sprinkle an even layer of sugar. Bake it until the sugar starts to brown. The areas that brown are where the oven is the hottest.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #10

HMMMM!

You might want to check out your electric oven with a voltmeter, as the grid may be giving you anywhere betwen 195 and 250 volts, which will obviously affect your burners, and on the controller side (likely 24 volts) will make your sensors really wonky

The rest of the posts make good sense...there can and are "hot spots" in both ovens or BBQ's, and you have to learn of these and how to deal with them...

The digital meat probe solves the issue absolutely with meat, but you aren't going to be stabbing cookies or even cakes with it...I have some issues with calibrating the cheapy thermometers with reality, as which do you choose to believe?

You pay several hundred for the stove, and buy a $5 thermometer? That you can't see easily without opening the oven door (lowering the temp 10 degrees at least! when you do?)

It get down to a conundrum of knowing what's done and what needs another 3 minutes, and that issue of "pioneer cooking" of poplar vs birch in the woodstove...