Oxo Products.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
count me in as a fan of oxo. i have the peeler, salad spinner, the mv-55 pro series knife set with an extra mini chef's knife, the kitchen shears, and i just got the mandoline for christmas. i'm sure that i'm forgetting more.

the mv-55 pro knife set doesn't stay particularly sharp, so you have to steel it regularly, but i love the grip and balance, and that's 90% of the battle when it comes to knives.

the salad spinner is the best i've ever seen, imo. i use it extensively with my garden lettuces every spring.

the kitchen shears are sharp, strong, and versatile. i even used them to cut christmas wrapping paper this year, after using them on a chicken (and cleaning them), and then a boot, and a tin can, and look, they still cut a tomato paper thin. lol, sorry, got lost in a commercial there for a second. but i did do the chicken/wrapping paper thing. :)

i can't wait to try out the mandoline.

WOW!!

I didn't that Oxo also makes knives. But I already have professional knives that I bought from a grinding co. that came out to sharpen the knives when I worked for a catering co. as a prep cook.

You can buy one of those Chefs Choice electric knife sharpeners for your dull knives though. I bought one from Sears for only $39.00. They have diamond-studded wheels for honing & sharpening and they work beautifully, bringing life back to dull knives!!

Also, be aware that a dull knife is the most dangerous one. And GB, I have the Oxo mandoline slicer. It's not cheap either because it costs a whopping $70.00. At thisw point, I wouldn't be surprised if they went into the small kitchen appliance business! :chef: :ermm:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
corey, does that sharpener create 2 cutting bevels, and are the degrees of angle adjustable?
what angles do you prefer. a friend/restaurant owner has his knives ground to 20 degrees on the back bevel, and 15 degrees on the micro bevel.

Yes, there are two sets of bevels. One side hones both sides, while the other side puts the finishing touches on the knife, making it razor-sharp.

The knife's surface is held in place at angles by magnets. You just place the knife in at the end near the handle, and pull the knife through toward you several times on each side.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
Maybe one of those long thin stainless steel slotted triangular-shaped spatulas would work for fried eggs, pancakes, fish and such.

I've seen Emeril use one often, and they look very useful. You can get one from either Chefs Catalog or Williams Sonoma.

~Corey123.

Yea, but I cook those things on non-stick so metal won't do.

I'm going to the kitchen store as soon as I get everything straightened out from Christmas and after I toss all the things I don't really like. I may spend quite a while deciding on what I really want to work with.

I just tried out this cute little gadget from Oxo that I had for a while, but for some reason, diddn't try it until the other day.

It's the Oxo Garlic Chopper, and it works great!! You just put a few garlick cloves in it at a time, press the black knob about a dozen times or more, and
Voila!!, you've got freshly chopped garlic to use as you please in your favorite dishes!!

It comes with a little mini spatula to aid in getting the chopped garlic out of the tiny container. It even has its own little cover for when you want to prep some chopped garlic ahead of time and store it in the fridge.

The whole kit & kaboodle comes apart for easy cleaning. When dry, just reassemble the parts back together again. It's tuly a work savor!!

~Corey123.

I've seen the Oxo Whisk used by many of the Iron Chefs on the current series, which I think says something. I own it myself, and the grip has saved my wrist and hand tendons quite a few times, as opposed to the nasty-chicken wire mash we called a whisk in our college apartment this last semester.

I also own the Oxo liquid measuring cup, which is not only brilliant but convenient. And finally I own the somewhat unconventional Oxo meat tenderizer. Its hard to describe, but its sort of like a handle connected to the center of a plate.

I bought a cute little Oxo whisk that has a little bullet-shaped stainless steel handle.

It's great for mixing small amounts of stuff like eggs, salad dressings, batter for crepes, etc.!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Add me to the list. As far as I'm concerned, the only vegetable peeler worth owning is the Oxo good grips. I wore one out (you have to understand my kitchen is full of stuff that has lived in many states, a trailer that travelled the country back and forth for three years, and storage. The latter is a killer.) and hubby bought me what he thought was the same thing. Close, but no cigar. Go back and get me an Oxo. I wasn't thrilled with their knives, not heavy enough for my taste (doesn't mean they wouldn't be good for someone else). I also love their can openers. I especially recommend them to freinds who are starting to have problems with arthritic hands. When you are literally losing your grip, those nice handles on things can really extend the amount of time you have left enjoying cooking.

I especially love all their fat black rubberized handles on their products!!

You can really get a good grip on their things when you use them, hence the nickname Good Grips!!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Also, for anyone looking for Oxo products, BBB has a whole slew of Oxo kitchen tools and gadgets!!

I think they are the biggest supplier so far!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I bought a couple of spreaders a while ago and, since they are claimed to be dishwasher safe, I washed them in the dishwasher. They came out with rust spots!

I complained to OXO and they wrote back to say that even though it's dishwasher safe, they never said it wouldn't rust!

Silly me to assume so much!

In this case, I'd go to either Williams Senoma or a commercial restaurant supply store and get some of those small little SS spreaders that have the wooden handles.

I've used those in food service, and they hold up pretty well and won't rust.
I think I got one that's kept in a tool box with the other small kitchen gadgets.

~Corey123.

I have lots of oxo things--salad spinner, dough scraper, peeler.

They also have a line of tools, and though I don't use it for cooking (much) I love their changeable tip screwdriver, and it lives in my kitchen tool drawer.

Claire said:
I also love their can openers. I especially recommend them to freinds who are starting to have problems with arthritic hands. When you are literally losing your grip, those nice handles on things can really extend the amount of time you have left enjoying cooking.

I like the Oxo can opener, but the tab that locked the opener broke on 2 different openers! So it was back to the trusty Swing-A-Way for me.

I got the Oxo Safety can opener, and it really works good!! I also got and Oxo stainless steel colander that has those famous fat black rubber handles on the sides and three fat rubber legs!

While at BBB today, I also bought another Oxo wooden turner.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Love my OXO measuring cups. They have the convenient 2/3 and 3/4 cupsizes. Except that after 2 years, the cute colored dots with the cup size labels on the 'good grips' have worn off! They don't look so nice now with my permanent marker handwriting... OXO should just emboss the cup sizes.

Back
Top Bottom