"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
That kind I use at home and it's a delight. But industrially... at our brasserie we use something not unlike a cement mixer, which churns out ace fluffy mashed taters at the turn of a knob. Otherwise, with that small one I'd be ricing all night.

On with the ironing prior to vacation. Sure wish I had a mechanical 'ricer' that took the creases outa my linen pants.
I think linen is the worst. Iron it after you unpack!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think linen is the worst. Iron it after you unpack!
Done. Thanks for the tip. :)

Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #33
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Golly Alix, I wasn't at all trying to tell you anything about your mashed potatoes. I was just expressing my opinion on the TERM, not the method by which one arrived at their mashed potatoes.

As you so nicely pointed out, mashed is, now, a matter of opinion.. what some call nicely mashed, others might think are a bit lumpy. Rustic potatoes with big ugly chunks sounds pretty nasty to me!

What I failed to express... my bad... was that a ricer doesn't reallY MASH the potatoes, it crushes them between a plate and a sieve. Whereas the old fashioned masher does just that... with a lot of elbow grease, the potatoes are.. for lack of a better term.. MASHED into the desired consistency.
Mashed isn't crushed... that was my poorly expressed point. Sorry if you took offense, I certainly wasn't calling a riced potato inferior to an old fashioned MASHED
potato!!!!!!

108 1 18 108 1 22 183 1 14 189 2 23 189 7 21 189 1 16
GrillingFool, I'm sorry, I think we have a bit of a miscommunication here. I wasn't addressing anything directly to you. I'm sorry if I sounded cranky or something, I sure didn't mean to! I was just sharing how I do potatoes these days. Absolutely not upset with you AT ALL. Hope I didn't cause offense to YOU.

Andy, I'm going to go with pretty crappy ricers, AND I'm tougher than I look. Don't let that genial grin fool you, I can take down a 300lb raging adolescent and still whip up a fine dinner!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #34
Cook

Those aren't smashers .. this is a smasher
Yes Josh, I know, because they used one in a very upmarket rest I ate at a while back. And somehow I think the pre-smashed material was leftover baked spuds from an earlier diner's plate
Prefer fluffly creamed potatoes myself and usually do them with a hand held electric beater for best results.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscamp View Post

Of the five mashers shown, which is most like the one you use? If you use something completely different, please describe it or provide a link that shows yours.
I use #1. I like lumps in my mashed potatoes and this mashed lets me mash as much or as little as I need.

Quote:
Where do you primarily use it? (In a professional kitchen or at home?)
home

Quote:
What motivated you to pick the one that you currently use? Price, feel, appearance, functionality?
At the time I do think I gave it any thought. I probably went into the store and bought the first one I saw.

Quote:
Were your expectations met?
Seeing as how I had none I would say yes.

Quote:
If not, what would you change or improve?
I would improve the angle of the handle. If there were more of an angle to it then you could use more force with less effort.

Quote:
What about your potato masher do you think is good? What features are the most important to you? (Rigidity, comfort, afford-ability, safe for use on non-stick products, ease of cleaning, etc.)
What is important to me is that it mashes potatoes with minimal effort and that I have control over how mashed they get. What I like about this design is that the potatoes do not get stuck on the masher in small hiding places. If they do stick then a quick tap on the side of the pot and everything clears off the masher and into the pot.

Quote:
Finally, what is the maximum price you would be willing to pay for the best hand powered potato masher you can imagine? Please specify which currency you are thinking of.
I would not pay over $20US for a masher, but I think a realistic price would be closer to $10.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I will keep all names and personal information private unless you give me explicit permission. Again, this is just being used for a school report.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Thanks a lot for the input! I forgot to ask what everyone's gender and age and age is.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #37
Flour Child

Quote:
I forgot to ask what everyone's gender and age and age is.
What does gender and age have to do with mashing potatoes?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

I'm just clarifying who uses this product the most. Ergonomics depend on the size of the person using it, so it might be valuable for me to know that say, only women use it, and thus the exact size and length of the handle might need to be tailored to fit their smaller stature. It might not make a huge difference in the end, but I need to be thorough. If you are uncomfortable sharing that information, then you don't have to.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #39
Flour Child

I see this same scenario often. In fact we just had a "college" guy here a few months ago asking us if we use reusable shopping bags. He also wanted our age and gender.

Are you that guy?

Is this professional market research or a student college paper?

Do you ever come here to discuss cooking?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm agreeing with mollyanne...there is no need for age and gender in an informal POLL, because that is all this is. Real research requires direct observation and collection of data.

I could tell you I am a 49 year old female, but actually be an 18 year old male or a 85 year old female. This is not real research!