"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We have a pair of Camillus game shears that we found at Tractor Supply. Around $12 or so.
Had them about six months and so far, no troubles.
Being a lefty, the handles on these shears is more comfortable to me than any other shears I have had, except, of course, for the left handed scissors I bought a number of years ago.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
We have a pair of Camillus game shears that we found at Tractor Supply. Around $12 or so.
Had them about six months and so far, no troubles.
Being a lefty, the handles on these shears is more comfortable to me than any other shears I have had, except, of course, for the left handed scissors I bought a number of years ago.
Camillus Cutlery used to be made about 15 miles from my home. The company made knives and cutlery from about 1894 - 2007. The Camillus name was purchased by a company called Acme United, no connection to Wile E. Coyote or his buddy the Road Runner.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Camillus Cutlery used to be made about 15 miles from my home. The company made knives and cutlery from about 1894 - 2007. The Camillus name was purchased by a company called Acme United, no connection to Wile E. Coyote or his buddy the Road Runner.
We have a little town, near Traverse City, MI., called Acme, again, I haven't seen old W.E Coyote, Road Runner, or much desert land around there. However, maybe they sent the various gizmos to Wile E.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Kershaw taskmaster shears
I have a pair of those, too. Love 'em!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
i have a pair of Henckle scissors I use for things like this (and a bunch of other things).

Are you saying I could get some sort of specialized thing to do it? Sweet... something new for the kitchen!
I've been using a set of Dexter Russel kitchen shears for cutting up chicken, but I really like poultry shears because their design often gives you more leverage making the cutting easier, it was a perfect excuse to add poultry shears to my collection!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #26
Senior Cook

I agree if you cut birds up, you need poultry shears, sure you can get regualr kitchen shears to do it, but its dangerous if you are capable of putting a lot of pressure on them, they can open up, snap, slip, etc... With poultry shears you can really press them and not have much trouble going through bone.

I have put off buying a set, hopefully mine come soon, I am going to cut up a few chickens the day them come, I but wholes, and cut them, breast, leg, wing, thigh... Also when I debone turkeys, you need a good shear.

this is my chicken stuffed turkey

here it is all stiched back up...
Old 01-31-2015, 12:29 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I've been using a set of Dexter Russel kitchen shears for cutting up chicken...
Are your Dexter ones like these?
poultry/kitchen shears
The Dexter-Russell factory isn't too far from me. I love my 8" chef's knife I got at their outlet for under $4. Wonder if I could get a steal deal like that on the shears.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #28
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I've been using a set of Dexter Russel kitchen shears for cutting up chicken, but I really like poultry shears because their design often gives you more leverage making the cutting easier, it was a perfect excuse to add poultry shears to my collection!

Ok.. so I might now have an excuse to make the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
I agree if you cut birds up, you need poultry shears, sure you can get regualr kitchen shears to do it, but its dangerous if you are capable of putting a lot of pressure on them, they can open up, snap, slip, etc... With poultry shears you can really press them and not have much trouble going through bone.
I have never had any troubles with my kitchen scissors and cutting birds. I wouldn't describe it as dangerous at all.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:

I have never had any troubles with my kitchen scissors and cutting birds. I wouldn't describe it as dangerous at all.

I kind of agree with this, but then I almost exclusively use a knife for dismembering a chicken. I'll use shears to remove the breastbone for spatchcocking, but I find a good knife to be more effective in cutting through joints.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:

Thats why it says master chef under your name, lol

What happened to me was I squeeze them too hard and the shears open up, meaning the gap between the blades spreads and all the force I am squeezing with is transferred in an actual direction vs to cut the bone... Granted I am obviously trying to cut bones larger than the utility tool I have is made to cut.

In the picture above that is a free range 38lb turkey {bought from ekonk turkey farm in CT, amazing birds they sell, I buy a lot of turkey from them, super nice people too...} when I debone a bird like that its hard on shears and squeezing hard with a normal set of shears that have loops and not open levers, has not proven to end well. Sure the 15lb chicken inside it debones easily, I can use my wifes sewing scissors to do that, but with the big birds its tougher than it looks..

I actually ordered a few sets so I will test them all out, I have 4- 40lb turkeys in the deep freeze that I got an awesome deal on after thanksgiving, so what I do is 1 at a time as I need them, I defrost one, debone, then brine and prep the meat. I cut the 2 breasts and roast them separate, then I process the rest {forming into loaf pans} for slicing..

I like the white breast meat sliced, but my kids like the dark meat loaves I make. A 40lb turkey will make A LOT of slicing turkey for sandwiches, and its all natural not salty preservative laced meats...

BUT ANYWAY, so you can see I put the shears through their paces, granted when I do my chicken stuffed turkeys they have to be perfect because its for entertaining and cooked whole, but when I do the slicing turkeys its less detrimental so I will use the band saw for the larger bones, but the shears still get a workout...
I also have pretty big hands so I may be a little harder on the shears than most cooks are. Having a plastic handled snap off and embed itself into my palm again doesn't sound super attractive to me.. I also may be using them in the wrong manner, which does not help the situation...