"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

That's pretty cool.
Where did you find all those tins?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
That is one of the reasons I needed that lower cabinet!
There was a time when my 2 cup measure kept making it to the top shelf. I had to drag out the step stool to reach it and I use it daily. There WAS a discussion on appropriate storage.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Nice job! I need somethint like that. I see those tins at the dollar store and keep thinking I should invest. My spices are all in baggies in a bin. not good, I'm sure.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I have tried spice racks, but I keep returning to a dedicated spice drawer. The bottles are on their sides, labels up, and I don't have any trouble finding them. I have little baskets in the drawer to keep them from rolling around, and I suppose if I was more organized (like that is going to happen any time soon) they would be sorted by type or alphabetized.
I used to do that a very long time ago. Now, I had two problems doing it. First, I had more spices than would fit in a single drawer in my tiny kitchen. Second, I didn't have a spare drawer so had to use part of a cabinet. I really needed another solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's pretty cool.
Where did you find all those tins?
I got the tins here! I chose these particular tins because they were food grade, under a buck a piece, and did NOT nest. Also, the clear plastic covering was nice as I could sight-check my spices. Okay, the real reason I got those tins were that they fit the dimensions of the old spice rack PERFECTLY. No over hang and not crammed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
There was a time when my 2 cup measure kept making it to the top shelf. I had to drag out the step stool to reach it and I use it daily. There WAS a discussion on appropriate storage.
Honestly, I need to do that in every closet: Clear out old and rarely used items so that the things I use daily have a more accessible place to go. We also have that issue in the kitchen. My popcorn bowl is too high for me to reach. So are my daily-used Pyrex glassware. The decorative bowl, that has never been used, that my mother gifted to Frank, holds prime real estate though. Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Nice job! I need somethint like that. I see those tins at the dollar store and keep thinking I should invest. My spices are all in baggies in a bin. not good, I'm sure.
Thanks! I kept looking for other spice options. I found few spice ideas that were cheaper than what I did. One that I considered was an IKEA solution where the containers attached with a magnet to a wall plate. With my kitties that LOVE to detach items from walls, not a good solution for us. I mean I would have to pray for the kitty that made off with Frank's secret Chili Mix.

~Kathleen

Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

checked out your bottle site. doesn't seem like much money til you start adding up all the herbs, etc, in cupboard. will go and see what can be throw away. then will add up cost. do labels come with them?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
checked out your bottle site. doesn't seem like much money til you start adding up all the herbs, etc, in cupboard. will go and see what can be throw away. then will add up cost. do labels come with them?

It cost us $33.28 for our 52 tins, which was a lot cheaper than most other storage systems I found even after adding on the $7.00 for shipping.
We already had a label-maker and used clear tape with black print for the tins. I didn't include the label-maker and tape in the cost since we already had it. If I had to guess how much we spent, I would guess around $5.00 worth of tape.

I looked at a lot of spice cabinets and storage options. Most would not hold half of what was needed and cost a lot more than $50, so I felt it was a cheap, and happy solution. Plus, I was glad to be able to "recycle" the rack, which I already had. We have a pile of glass bottles for the recycling collector.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the info. need to think about it for a while. i have one attached under a cabinet, a holder i mean. paid to much bucks for it and hardly ever use it. gonna put away my cannister set, too. takes up to much room and i just had to dump a whole one of flour and one of rice. the pantry moths got them, how long ago i don't know. though i had them all taken care of.

Tags
spices