Using coriander leaves vs coriander spice from the bottle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
Often a recipe calls coriander leaves and I am at a sudden dead end. But I have it in the spice cabinet. How big is the difference between the two?

I, personally, find a very big difference.
Depending on the recipe, either just leave it out or you could substitute with parsley. I don't know which parsley to tell you, flat or curly,

Just passing on what I've heard. Again, I personally, just leave it out.
I won't buy fresh cilantro just to throw out 95% of it when it goes slimy.

Here in the US, coriander refers to the seeds, the leaves of the plant are called cilantro. In the UK, they call cilantro coriander, and British recipes will ONLY say "coriander," never cilantro, so their recipes can be confusing to us. They also use veggies like rocket, courgette, aubergine and swede, instead of arugula, zucchini, eggplant and rutabaga. ;)

CD

Last edited:
dragn, If you want a way to store your cilantro, here's a way I found in one of Rick Bayless's CBs, so I checked, and here it is on his website.

I've made it before, but instead of cilantro and parsley 50/50, I do it 75/25, since I want more of the cilantro flavor. But otherwise, it is the same as the recipe, and it does last until I finish it, without going bad.

Coriander greens, AKA cilantro and coriander seeds come from the same plant. But, the flavour is miles apart. There is no comparison. I love the smell and taste of the seeds. I seriously detest the flavour of raw coriander leaves. If it's part of a recipe I usually leave it out. If it's a garnish, I usually substitute parsley. If it's just to have some green herb, then I sub parsley. If it will be cooked, I might use the leaves. I would NEVER substitute the seeds for the leaves. To me, substituting coriander seeds for the leaves would be as bizarre as substituting dill seeds for cucumbers.

Coriander greens, AKA cilantro and coriander seeds come from the same plant. But, the flavour is miles apart. There is no comparison. I love the smell and taste of the seeds. I seriously detest the flavour of raw coriander leaves. If it's part of a recipe I usually leave it out. If it's a garnish, I usually substitute parsley. If it's just to have some green herb, then I sub parsley. If it will be cooked, I might use the leaves. I would NEVER substitute the seeds for the leaves. To me, substituting coriander seeds for the leaves would be as bizarre as substituting dill seeds for cucumbers.
Agreed, They are both often found in the same recipes, but thats because of their completely different flavors they add to the dish. Subbing one for the other my not work out, or at the very least, would not have the same outcome as the author of the recipe was looking for. I find that coriander adds to a dish by blending in with the other added spices, but cilantro adds a flavor of its own, totally transforming the dish. Where as sometimes coriander gets lost in the mix ( especially heavily spiced dishes like Indian), you always know when cilantro has been added. Or at least that's my experiences with them. And it is also a love/ hate thing. I love it, my Wife hates it , and makes the same face every single time I put it in a dish ( for the last 30 + years).

I love coriander (what you call cilantro).
The seeds and leaves are not interchangable though.
So if you don't have, leave it out or use basil, parsley or even mint.
It will be different but still good

I buy cilatro with stems and roots. Roots are used in thai curry pastes. I clean the plant, use what I need, then freeze the whole lot. Not good for garnish, but itvworks well enough.

Which is why I use the different names - then there is absolutely no mistakes. For a newbie, some may have heard of one but not the other and so when suddenly looking at a recipe they won't be confused when they look it up.
Cilantro = leaves
Coriander = seeds

LOL there was a big discussion on this in another thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom