Storage Containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh--you had to share that!!! It would have been a perfect workstation for your new pie maker! Can you get it back?:ermm:

I am afraid not. It was five years ago. Had I known, I would have sent it to post haste. Even if I had to carry it on my back. :angel:

I use the Pyrex containers. I like that they come in all the different sizes, and the fact that they are glass. Glass doesn't keep the food taste and smells and is easier to clean. Plus you don't have to worry about warping and BPA! ;)
Pyrex 6021224 Storage 10-Piece Set, Clear with Blue Lids
ir

Last edited:
I recently had to find some new storage solution for my pantry. I've lived here for ten years and, while I've always had fall/winter mouse/shrew problems, this year the mouse was chewing into unopened pasta boxes/bags, even if I put the unopened package in a second sealed bag. I've had Tupperware "ovals" canisters for over 20 years, but not nearly enough for this purpose, and my storage space is limited. In other words, I need shapes that fit well together to maximize space. To put all pasta/rice/legumes/taco shells, chips, mixes in envelopes, etc, into solid, sealed containers required twice what I have. So I was delighted to hit Amazon and found I can still buy the containers that will allow everything to fit in my pantry, plus a couple of replacement lids for those lost in the half-dozen moves since I first bought the set(s).

I recently had to find some new storage solution for my pantry. I've lived here for ten years and, while I've always had fall/winter mouse/shrew problems, this year the mouse was chewing into unopened pasta boxes/bags, even if I put the unopened package in a second sealed bag. I've had Tupperware "ovals" canisters for over 20 years, but not nearly enough for this purpose, and my storage space is limited. In other words, I need shapes that fit well together to maximize space. To put all pasta/rice/legumes/taco shells, chips, mixes in envelopes, etc, into solid, sealed containers required twice what I have. So I was delighted to hit Amazon and found I can still buy the containers that will allow everything to fit in my pantry, plus a couple of replacement lids for those lost in the half-dozen moves since I first bought the set(s).

For larger quantity or unopened packages try using an ice chest until you catch the varmints!

Anyone use these? After awhile, the lid wouldn't close down tight no matter how hard I pushed on it. I discovered that some flour had collected around the seal area. I took a toothpick and cleared out the flour debris around the seal. It shuts completely now.

Attachments

• container.jpg
    container.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 182
Those ones you see on TV are standard food storage containers, used in most restaurants and food-service establishments. They're available at restaurant supply shops, and are relatively inexpensive.

Despite popular belief to the contrary, most restaurant supply houses will sell at retail levels. You don't have to be in the business to shop there.

Sam's carries a limited selection of them, too, if you have one handy.

Another word of caution about restaurant supply stores, be certain you understand their return policy before buying anything. Their priority is dealing with the trade and probably deal with the general public only as a concession. They may have a restocking fee for returns, or might not even accept returns at all (excepting exchange for any defective items).

Restaurant supply stores are simply amazing! I've found things there that I've never seen in ordinary stores, or I'll find an entire assortment different kinds of some item where ordinary stores have only one or a few. Prices are often substantially lower than ordinary stores, but some items are very pricey because they may be brands of particular interest to professionals and not sold in ordinary stores.

And don't even go near the stoves if they have them!!!

I never thought of a restaurant supply place. We do have one not far from here. Thanks.

One word of caution, Lyndalou: When you walk into a restaurant supply house it's like being a five-year-old in a toy store. You'll spend a lot of time saying, "ooh, ooh, I need that."

Just a word to the wise---especially given your signature line. :>)

Oh yeah! You will have to look at everything. Either plan a kamikaze visit or at least a whole afternoon. I drive Shrek nuts with walking through and picking up everything!

We have a couple of restaurant supply stores within range of where I live. I went and asked if they had an open box of glasses of a certain size. I only needed about 12. They were very happy to sell them to me. I engraved them with my daughter's initial and gave them to her for Christmas. They were double barrel bar glasses and very difficult to break. That was 10 years ago and she still has all of them. A couple of years ago I bought six of them, engraved them with a medallion and gave them to my church to sell at their Fall Fair. They went quickly. Restaurant supply stores are a great place to shop in. But put blinders on before you go in.

Stay away from the pots and pans also. You will find yourself selling the blood of your first born and looking for the wings of a bat, and the eye of a newt to afford some of their pans. :ohmy:

my wife bought "lock n lock" storage containers from qvc a few years ago and i have to say that they're amazing. they really keep food fresher longer. i've put stuff in them amd forgotten about it as they got pushed back in the fridge. but time after time, what i'd expected would be bad when i opened it up a week or more later was still good.

my wife bought "lock n lock" storage containers from qvc a few years ago and i have to say that they're amazing. they really keep food fresher longer. i've put stuff in them amd forgotten about it as they got pushed back in the fridge. but time after time, what i'd expected would be bad when i opened it up a week or more later was still good.

I have the Lock n Lock bins from QVC and all my plastics are Lock n Locks. I was able to get scoops for the bins at the restaurant supply, perfect for my pantry. The smaller containers, leftover size, never go in the microwave...makes me feel better to know I'm not ruining them in there with food (fat) that's too hot.

my wife bought "lock n lock" storage containers from qvc a few years ago and i have to say that they're amazing. they really keep food fresher longer. i've put stuff in them amd forgotten

I recommended Lock 'n Lock earlier in the topic and I too think they're really good.

oops, you're right. i missed that on the first skim through.

they really are great containers. must be just that little bit of positive pressure on the seal.

I was just making the point that three of us have recommended Lock 'n Lock, which should make it a stronger recommendation.

They're incredibly tough, they seal good enough to hold a partial vacuum, they're microwavable and they're made of the safe kind of plastic.

They hold such a good seal that they would be certain to explode if you put a sealed Lock 'n Lock in your microwave. So don't anybody do that! :)

Last edited:
I like that I have found it impossible to stain the Lock n Locks. I did have a problem with storing raw cut onion and residual smell. I have those 2 or 3 marked and only put onion in them.

There must be some way to clean out that onion smell. Maybe add a few tablespoons of white vinegar and seal it up, leave it on your counter for a few days and shake it now and then... ?

Probably any of the plastic containers could take up onion smell. On the other hand, drop plastic and no problem, drop glass and it could shatter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom