"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Trivets/Hot Plates to Keep Foods Warm or Chilled

Last year I found trivets that could be heated in the microwave and would keep casseroles warm -- especially good for buffets. The same trivets could also be put into the refrigerator and used to keep foods cool (salads, dips, fruit, etc.). I purchased them from QVC and gave three as gifts. Everyone loved them and I would like a few more for gifts this year, BUT the manufacturer has discontinued them. Does anyone know of a source for these special trivets? I have searched the web, but can't locate them. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You could accomplish the same thing with any ceramic or metal trivet/hot plate by putting it into the oven or freezer before use.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

I order a lot of things from QVC but did you try HSN. You can research Williams Sonoma on the Internet and they only carry things for cooking.

Good Luck.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I usually use a trivet to protect the table that the dish is sitting on - does this special trivet keep the dish warm AND protect the table?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
Master Chef

Who was the manufacturer - and what trade name were they marketed under? Knowing that info might help in finding other outlets where they were sold.

Something else that might work is to use a really poor heat conductor for a trivet - something like wood.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and suggestions. They will certainly help me in my search. I appreciate all your ideas!

Michele Marie -- yes, these trivets are used to protect the table. They can be heated in the microwave and/or chilled in the refrigerator to keep food warm or cold. They may be put directly on the table and do not harm the table surface. I have given them as gifts and everyone loves them. If you should see anything like these, please let me know! Thanks for your interest!!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Interesting, I will keep my eyes peeled! Let us know if you find them.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieshelly
Last year I found trivets that could be heated in the microwave and would keep casseroles warm -- especially good for buffets. The same trivets could also be put into the refrigerator and used to keep foods cool (salads, dips, fruit, etc.). I purchased them from QVC and gave three as gifts. Everyone loved them and I would like a few more for gifts this year, BUT the manufacturer has discontinued them. Does anyone know of a source for these special trivets? I have searched the web, but can't locate them. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Have you tried looking on EBAY??? If you can find it anywhere you can find it there!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I FOUND THEM!

I finally located the microwaveable trivets that I have been trying to find and they are on sale! If you are interested go to www.CSSDeals.com and put "table top heat" into their search box.

(Reanie, I did check EBay and found two used ones. The descriptions -- table top heat, etc. -- eventually led me to the above website. Thanks for the hint!)

Again, thanks to everyone!! Merry Christmas!!!