"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnxguhj33
mmm, i see...SO. if my reading comprehension is good, i only need to season it well for a couple of times, then it's ready to go as long as i don't wash it with soap and water. And it retains heat well..i see..What's so important about retaining heat..?
What you need to do is go to the Search feature, upper blue bar, click on it then select Advanced Search. Insert the words cast iron and select "titles only" from the pull down menu. Once you are there search cast iron in the cookware forum - you will learn a lot. A lot has already been written about this and people just don't want to re-write it all. The info in the threads you find is exactly what you are looking for. It just takes a bit of reading.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

the 2 things i have brought is a set of measuring spoons these were dirt cheap (only plastic but work well well) and tongs

i forgot 2 square plates as for me food looks much better than on the old plates we had ;)

Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

Retaining heat promotes even cooking. If you have a thin pan that does not retain heat well then you will have hot and cold spots. Some of the food will burn while some of it will not cook all the way through. That is just one reason heat retention is important, but certainly not the only reason.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Every kitchen should have at least one good non-stick skillet, and some good knives. You can never go wrong with a good set of stainless steel cookware as they do a wonderful job with you food, clean up easily and look good in your kitchen. You can pay a fortune for this stuff, but you don't have to. There are a number of good quality sets available on the market and your research in this area should pay off handsomely. Use search criteria like "stainless steel cookware set", "waterless cookware", Chef Secret waterless cookware", etc. As far as knives go, look for something made of quality steel. Whatever you do, don't buy the cheapest you can find as they probably won't hold an edge. Good brands to look for are Kanets, Chicago Cutlery, Victorinox, Messer. If you end up with a good "chefs knife", "paring knife", "slicer", and "bread knife" you will have a great start. Good luck in your search! And if you're lucky, maybe you'll find my store. Don't think I'm allowed to put my URL here, though.

Quote:
I'm a noob cook and my kitchen has, let's say, less than adequate cooking utensils/anything related to cooking. Right now all i have are 3 cutting boards, some lame knives, 1 10 inch frying pan, and 3 pots. What should I get if I want to be serious about cooking?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

Well, i ended up with measuring spoons and cups, an 8 inch and 10 inch calphalon non stick pans, 1.5 and 2.5 quart calphalon nonstick pots, 8 inch henckel twin cermax chefs knife, 5 inch henckel twin cermax utility knife, and a henckel diamond steel. Thank you all for all of your input.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Well, i ended up with measuring spoons and cups, an 8 inch and 10 inch calphalon non stick pans, 1.5 and 2.5 quart calphalon nonstick pots, 8 inch henckel twin cermax chefs knife, 5 inch henckel twin cermax utility knife, and a henckel diamond steel. Thank you all for all of your input.
Congrats! Sounds like you made some great choices! Have you cooked with them yet? How do you like your new cookware? Your knives? Be sure and tell us.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Well I really like my calphalon cookware but my knives come in on monday. Bummer.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Well I really like my calphalon cookware but my knives come in on monday. Bummer.
I bought mostly Calphalon, too, when I recently re-did my kitchen and threw out all the old crap. It was a real eye-opening experience to use high-quality cookware. I still haven't gotten good knives yet. I got a medium quality set that I'm using until I learn more or at least I feel like I've researched enough to make an informed purchase. So be sure and let us know how you like your knives!
Terry
Old 08-17-2007, 01:11 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Nice Terry. I bought calphalon one nonstick pans because they were on sale at TJ Maxx for like $30-$40. :] Also, i had to throw away my fissler nonstick because my cousin used a metal knife and scratched up ALL of the nonstick thing..(ionno what it is..) on my pan. I was so bummed.
:[
P.S. I'll be sure to let you know about my twin cermax knives. :D
Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

oh man. My knives make me happy. :] They're razor sharp and cut so well. I'm gonna have fun cooking now!!