"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #41
Head Chef

I just finished a job where they had a 40 grand stone pizza oven installed. Been there 5 years and never used.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumisho View Post
I always go there for eating, of course xD.. but usually I add whatever in fridge into oven directly. last time i baked apple with ketchup.. yuck x.x
I donno how to cook
What eating of course? No room for eating in my kitchen.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

No?. well, I eat in kitchen. Can't cook so eat :/
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There's no room in my kitchen for a kitchen...
Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I remember most vividly moving from the "kids" table to the "adult" table...it wasn't for the food, it was for the conversation. One Aunt was surprised that "a child" could carry on intelligent conversation with her elders.
Good thing I got to start at the "grown-ups" table since I was the ONLY kid in a house of five people.

I really miss the kitchen/family room area of our last house. The back half of the house was a Great Room roughly 24'X33' with a peninsula counter dividing the kitchen work area from the family room. Plus there was the dinette part of the kitchen area too. When we'd have the neighbors over for a post-holiday gathering everyone would bring either an app or dessert and load up that peninsula with munchies. We'd have the beer/wine/drinks and everyone would circulate and chat and have a good time. We still had the parties when we moved but this house layout isn't anywhere near as party-friendly as the last home.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

No matter where I lived, an EIK (eat in kitchen) was the main requirement. The kitchen table was where I did prep work, sat with friends for coffee, helped the kids with homework, paid bills, wrote notes for school, read cookbooks, sat and talked on the phone, gave my babies their daily bath, lived my whole live around that kitchen table, and it is where my second husband was sitting when he proposed to me. He loved to sit at the table and watch me cook.

For years I had a chrome kitchen set with six chairs. Yes, they sold the whole set with six chairs. Chairs were not an optional item like today. Those cahairs and table saw a lot of life.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No matter where I lived, an EIK (eat in kitchen) was the main requirement. The kitchen table was where I did prep work, sat with friends for coffee, helped the kids with homework, paid bills, wrote notes for school, read cookbooks, sat and talked on the phone, gave my babies their daily bath, lived my whole live around that kitchen table, and it is where my second husband was sitting when he proposed to me. He loved to sit at the table and watch me cook.

For years I had a chrome kitchen set with six chairs. Yes, they sold the whole set with six chairs. Chairs were not an optional item like today. Those cahairs and table saw a lot of life.
I've been looking for one of those sets for my kitchen. Seems like they were very "retro" popular for years, and now that I could use to replace my little kitchen table, I don't see them so much.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #48
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Addie, I grew up living in the kitchen! We had a table with six chairs (must have come as a set because they were all red including the table!) and a U shaped cooking area with two stools on the outside. Everything happened in that kitchen. I remember at Christmas time the table would be filled with cooling goodies I would help my Mom make. I did homework, we played games, visited, and even ate there once in awhile . Most of our close friends (and all my and my sister's friends used the side door which was right off the kitchen and probably never went further unless to the bathroom at the far end of the hall. I loved that kitchen and all its memories. Oh, and we didn't have a private dining room - Mom got rid of it and it became an extension of the living room.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I've been looking for one of those sets for my kitchen. Seems like they were very "retro" popular for years, and now that I could use to replace my little kitchen table, I don't see them so much.
We have a store up on Route #1 that sells appliances. But they have a section that is devoted to the chrome kitchen sets of the 50's. Tables w/six chairs, counter stools. They even have that chrome ribbed apron that required a scrub brush to keep clean. Have you googled them in your area? Or you could make a trip back east and pick one up.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, I grew up living in the kitchen! We had a table with six chairs (must have come as a set because they were all red including the table!) and a U shaped cooking area with two stools on the outside. Everything happened in that kitchen. I remember at Christmas time the table would be filled with cooling goodies I would help my Mom make. I did homework, we played games, visited, and even ate there once in awhile . Most of our close friends (and all my and my sister's friends used the side door which was right off the kitchen and probably never went further unless to the bathroom at the far end of the hall. I loved that kitchen and all its memories. Oh, and we didn't have a private dining room - Mom got rid of it and it became an extension of the living room.
They didn't have TV during my early days of childhood. It was the radio. If you had money, you had a floor model in the parlor. If not, you had a table model sitting on the kitchen table. After the kids went off to school, mom listened to Helen Trent, My Gal Sunday, etc. At 7 p.m. there were kid shows like the Lone Ranger. On Saturday mornigs, kids listened to their shows until 10 a.m. Then ran outside to play all day. And you could always find mom in the kitchen where she was baking and cooking. So the whole thread of family life happened in the kitchen. When I got married just about all homes were buyng TV's. But simply because I was raised in the kitchen, it never occured to me to transfer any activity to the LR. After ten a.m. when I had gone through all the rooms after the kids left for school, my life continued to be in the kitchen. And that is where you could always find me.

Today a small TV has replaced that table radio. My daughter has a small flat screen of a movable arm so she can move it to be seen where ever she is standing or sitting. And she too raised her family in the kitchen.

I feel sorry for kids that live in mansions. They usually have a cook. They are missing some wonderful memory building fun in the kitchen. Can you see Belinda Gates in her kitchen helping her kids with their homework?

Tags
kitchen