"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I will repeat what others have said, but with more emphasis.

Whenever I bake, I ALWAYS use parchment now. I line baking pans or sheets for brownies, cakes, or cookies.

When I'm out of parchment, I don't bake. Or I go to the store to get parchment so I can bake. It's so much easier--no stick, no mess, no spray-cans.

You can use the sheets for multiple trays, but I wouldn't save them once you're finished baking for the day.

And the pizza thing is genius -- just through the pizza in the oven, parchment and all.

Tim

Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Master Chef

NOt only baking, it can be used for chicken and fish. Some people are very sensative for the metalic taste of an aluminum pans, I have few friends like that. If they are comming over and I cook anything in the oven I use parchment paper to line up the baking trays.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

I use it for pizza too. I assemble the entire pizza on parchment and transport the entire assembly into the oven. I place the pizza and parchment on a pre-heated stone or on a pizza screen during assembly and no stone. After a couple of minutes in the oven and when the exposed edges of the parchment start to char at 550F I yank the still in tact parchment from underneath the pizza, discard the parchment, and let the pizza continue to bake.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
There is a non stick Foil available
reg. foil always works for me. go figure
Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

It has artistic uses for cake decorating, using it to transfer images. I think this is Wilton's lesson 1 or 2.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
Sous Chef

the last box of parchment paper that I bought, tells me to wet both sides of paper before putting it on a cookie sheet.....I've never seen this before....maybe it's a cheaper kind of parchment, do you think??????
Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO View Post
the last box of parchment paper that I bought, tells me to wet both sides of paper before putting it on a cookie sheet.....I've never seen this before....maybe it's a cheaper kind of parchment, do you think??????
I never read a package for directions! I sometimes wet the paper to get it to stay put in a pan, especially if it's very curly.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Thankyou Andy. Guess I'm from the "old school"....lol, I always read directions and labels.....
Old 04-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

I've used it at school, while apprenticing at a catering company, cooking at a camp, and in my own business for cakes, pastries, cookies, appetizers, everything. I get a new roll or two every time I place an order with my supplier. I have never seen instructions to wet it.

Another use I have for it is when I am IQF'ing (individually quick frozen) for the freezer. I do meat, baked goods, everything and the parchment keeps it from sticking to the metal trays, and from getting frostbite if I forget it for a day or two. I put it under and over the food to be frozen.

I also use it for making meringue and other circles. I trace the right sized circle on one side of the paper, turn it over and spread my egg white or batter on the other, then bake it right on the paper. Comes off nice and clean and perfectly shaped.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #20
Head Chef

I use it for baking cookies,cakes etc. also love to use it for cooking fish in the oven,
layer starting with swiss chard or spinach, red onion, tiplia filets, lemon slices, sprinkling of white wine, olive oil, thyme , s&p wrap up and seal tight, bake 350 for about 30 min.
yummy!
Great with salmon, only use dill instead of thyme