"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Uncle B, whatarya gonna BBQ with the mandolin?

j/k

I need it for very, very, thin slices of BBQed 'possum.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
How fat's your wallet? It would probably be hard to beat this Shun mandoline. And only $379.95!
Thanks Rob...

I was considering this one, until I discovered it doesn't load the dish washer, and it doesn't know how to mix a martini!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Uncle Bob, the only time I use mine is for gratins. Other than that it's a good ol knife. If your knife skills are honed, you'll grab that first. I even cut fries by hand.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Uncle Bob, the only time I use mine is for gratins. Other than that it's a good ol knife. If your knife skills are honed, you'll grab that first. I even cut fries by hand.
You are totally correct! I've already concluded that after the "new" wears off it will be back to the knife...

I certainly don't "need" one! I was just thinking...since Santa Claus didn't leave me a new "toy"......

Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #25
Senior Cook

My fiancee got me a mandolin through Pampered Chef a year ago+. I never really had much use for it until I decided to start making my own french onion soup. I'm really glad I have it now though. Usually onion cutting doesn't bother me, but when it does it does it in a big way. The best way to avoid getting hit by onion gas for me is speed. The capability to take a brand new whole medium onion and reduce it to soup ready (and regular) slices in less than 30 seconds is great. It comes with interchangeable blades, you can slice, ripple cut, or grate. Clean up is easy as the whole thing is dishwasher safe, just disassemble and go.

The only real problems I've had were stability (could be a bit of a pain when trying to use over a large bowl), and the "adjustable" blade doesn't really do a good job at adjusting to "thin" (but the V blade does a great job on onions).
Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
The only real problems I've had were stability (could be a bit of a pain when trying to use over a large bowl),
I hold down the back leg on mine against the counter with my free hand.

I always use the guard and even with that I have come super close to loosing an appendage. On mine, large pieces like potatoes have to be fed by hand first, then you can use the holder. Well, when your ripping through 10 pounds of spuds for a gratin you kinda get into a mode. Anyway, I was one slide away from loosing a finger tip.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Jeekinz,

I have to disagree with the comment that a mandoline is a "Good ol knife"

You can cut fries by hand, but if you really want true, consistent fries, you should use a mandolin. Same goes for Pommes Souffless and many other dishes where frying is required.
The next time you are making fries, cut them with your mandoline. You will be surprised at the results.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Our son gave me a v-slicer (made in Germany, but I don't remember the maker) when he was in high school 20 years ago. I've used it for years but it is not cutting as crisply as before - time to replace it.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Jeekinz,

You can cut fries by hand, but if you really want true, consistent fries, you should use a mandolin. Same goes for Pommes Souffless and many other dishes where frying is required.
The next time you are making fries, cut them with your mandoline. You will be surprised at the results.

Not to mention the ability to do crinkle/criss cut fries. My favorite use of a mandolin is for making matchstick/haystack zucchini & carrots.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Jeekinz,

What I meant was:

You're not going to use the mandolin every time you need to slice something unless the time it takes to get the mandolin out and set it up is less time than it would take to slice something with a knife.

You also misread my post. Other than using the mandolin for gratins, I'll use a good ol knife. If you have good knife skills you know where I'm coming from.