World's Best Mandoline...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought the Bron professional yesterday, and I didn't even use it , I am returning it to the store. Hubby talked me out of having one. :(, tells me I don't need fancy slices. :ermm:

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that you're returning yours, Lady. :( But it's not just about fancy slices but rather ease of slicing. I make some dishes that requires a lot of jullienne so the Bron will come in very handy and save me quite a bit of time.

Mine was delivered on Saturday afternoon and sad to say, I have not had a chance to use it yet. I did read through the (small) manual and played around with it to get familiar. At this rate, I won't be able to use it until Saturday. DH wants homemade hash browns for breakfast. :pig:

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that you're returning yours, Lady. :( But it's not just about fancy slices but rather ease of slicing. I make some dishes that requires a lot of jullienne so the Bron will come in very handy and save me quite a bit of time.

Mine was delivered on Saturday afternoon and sad to say, I have not had a chance to use it yet. I did read through the (small) manual and played around with it to get familiar. At this rate, I won't be able to use it until Saturday. DH wants homemade hash browns for breakfast. :pig:
well he says food processor slices just as well. :wacko:

lol! Well, DH didn't quite understand why I needed a mandoline either. He said, "don't you already have things that can do that?" (meaning the grater and my food processor) I said yes, but I still want one. He just raised his hands and said, okay.

He knows me so well. He knows that once I get something in my head, it won't go away until I get it (or until I pester him until he gives in) hehe. I'm also a gadget freak.

dianabell,
As you and GB stated, with the mandoline you have more control over the type and thickness of the slices. I have a nice Kitchen Aid food processor, but I never use it. Between the mandoline, the grater and the hand blender I have no need for it.

LadyCook61,
Sorry to hear that, I use mine often specially for potatoes and jullienes.
If this conversation would happened a while ago, I would had traded you my FP for your mandoline.

Last edited:
wysiwg & GB,

Thanks for the info. I've been very interested in finding ways to be more efficient in the kitchen. I think I'll add this to my "must have list." Just like we need more than one skillet or knife or pot for different jobs, now I see why we need more than one way to chop chop!

Diane

I have not used my food processor for grating, shredding, etc. in over 10 years. I just never liked the results, except for grating cheese. I've been doing all that by hand. So I have a feeling my new mandoline will become indispensable.

well he says food processor slices just as well. :wacko:

But a food processor does not slice NEAR as thin as a mandoline - nor does it have the capabilities to do some of the other slices. That's what a mandoline is for - REALLY, REALLY thin slices, or really thick!!! A FP does NOT do the same thing :mad:

But a food processor does not slice NEAR as thin as a mandoline - nor does it have the capabilities to do some of the other slices. That's what a mandoline is for - REALLY, REALLY thin slices, or really thick!!! A FP does NOT do the same thing :mad:
you know that and I know that.. but try explaining to a former truck driver who ate at truck stops. :ermm:

LadyCook61,
The fact that you can control the size of your slicing is more than just cosmetics.
By having consistent size pieces to cook, you will have better and more efficient results specially when frying or baking...please see my previous comment about Pommes Souffless. Perhaps that will help your husband understand?

Plumies,
Have you done those hash browns for breakfast? I did a rosti today (is like a hash browns cake) and even though it took me a while to get the proper cooking time it was pretty darn good.

LadyCook61,
Plumies,
Have you done those hash browns for breakfast? I did a rosti today (is like a hash browns cake) and even though it took me a while to get the proper cooking time it was pretty darn good.

Not yet but I'm making them tomorrow morning. DH is eager to see how my new toy is going to benefit him. :LOL: A rosti...I'll have to look into that one. Sounds delicious. Thank you!

I decided to make a rosti on Saturday. DH loved it. It was so easy to get the evenly thin shreds (not sure what else to call them) of potatoes on the mandoline. I did half a potato on my regular box shredder just for comparison. Mandonline won hands down.

I also used it to slice some vegetables for salads and it was very fast. Clean-up was a snap, too. Overall, a good add for me!

Anybody slide meats on a mandoline?

I wonder if anyone will still get a notice of new activity on this old thread.

For all the discussion about mandolines, no one said a word about cold cuts. Does anybody use the mandoline to thinly slice meats for sandwiches? To what success?

Larry,
Mandolines will not handle cold cuts, they will tear the meat instead of cutting it.
I guess this is due to the meat characteristics (harness, etc.) as compared to vegetables, you will need a cutter with more linear velocity than a mandoline to thinly slice meat.
That's when a meat slicer is needed.

I see my typo, "Can you SLIDE meats..." sort of worked there, LOL.

Anyway, thanks w, for cluing me in. I've often eyed meat slicers, but for home use they're a bit much... expensive and take up a lot of room... and then there's cleaning them.

As for mandolines, I was given one as a gift today, an Oxo. But I'm going to return it, given the high number of bad reviews for this brand at Amazon, and get a different brand. If you have any further thoughts on mandoline brands, now that it's been a year since the big discussion, do tell!

And again, many thanks.

i have a med. priced one in the cupboard. i have never used it. it got stuffed way in the back . can't reach it unless i get down on knees and lean in. you would think i would just do it. however in my old age, i can get down on the floor but can't get up. it is not a pretty picture. i always forget to have someone a bit more agile get it for me. maybe this thread will give the nudge i need

I got myself a Super (Large) Benriner Japanese mandoline a year ago, having been putting off buying it and thinking I could make do without it. Boy, was I kicking myself afterwards for waiting too long. It drastically cuts down slicing time and more importantly, all slices are of uniform size. I can do paper-thin garlic and ginger slices too. Great addition to my kitchen arsenal. :)

I have had a bron mandolin for over 20 years , no plastic parts ,easy to use ,easy to sharpen ( ezy-lap diamond paddle ) . The food holder ( chariot ) I don't use . I have a killer yam gratin and the small julliene for hash browns that have kept me in my wifes ( and guests ) good books , I do see other makes with insert blades ( lost and/or damage spring to mind ) and anyone who thinks a food proccesor does as well is not seeing what they are looking at. NO ONE touches my mandolin by the way ,so don't ask-- Regards from British Columbia --Gage
(Ps I also use a bernier spiral turning slicer ,an Onion King , and a Robot-Coupe. You can get by with good knife skills but machines can be such fun )

We have a pampered chef (older version). Last use was a whole stalk of celery on the v slicer. Used what was needed for salads, and froze the rest for soups/stews.

Back
Top Bottom