"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Your dumbest mail order cooking gadget ?

We have discussed our favorite kitchen gadgets..How about revealing our dumbest gadget..
I am nominating my Ronco pasta machine..Looking forward to hearing your most outlandish...

ticoterry

Old 04-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I don't have one but the dumbest gadget ever has to be the "thawing plate." I can't remember exactly what it was called but it was flat piece of anodized aluminum that you would toss a piece of frozen meat onto and it would quickly thaw. I was asked to demo this when I worked at HomePlace and when I figured out that a non-stick pan is basically the same thing I told everyone not to waste their money on the "thawing plate." I got reprimanded for not pushing the bogus product but that's okay. HomePlace went bankrupt about 8 years ago!

Old 04-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

OK it wasn't mail order, but I bet you will still count this. I forget the exact name, but I think it is called the Euro Sealer. In my defense, I bought it when I was young and naive LOL.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
(moved to Cookware and Accessories)

I like my pasta machine lol

GB - My son thought he was big stuff when my husband let him call and order a Euro Sealer - it served one purpose - as a magnet to hold stuff on the refrigerator! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
I don't have one but the dumbest gadget ever has to be the "thawing plate." I can't remember exactly what it was called but it was flat piece of anodized aluminum that you would toss a piece of frozen meat onto and it would quickly thaw. I was asked to demo this when I worked at HomePlace and when I figured out that a non-stick pan is basically the same thing I told everyone not to waste their money on the "thawing plate." I got reprimanded for not pushing the bogus product but that's okay. HomePlace went bankrupt about 8 years ago!
I just had to have one of these, when I found one at the thrift shop. I paid less than a dollar.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Head Chef

Also embarassed to admit... the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie. It was a chore to clean up, and the plastic parts started breaking off in a couple of months... soon the front door had no support left.

My vertical roasting rack does a chicken just as well (which is mostly what I used it for anyway) and has no moving or plastic parts to break or go wrong.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
...and I love my Rotisserie too. I've had mine for about 5 years and I use it quite a bit and it has held up well.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:22 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I never actually owned this one but my friend did. It was magic bullet or something like that. a little compact hand sized chopping thing that supposedly chops fresh herbs, makes smoothies, chops veggies. Oh the wonders of it all!

It crudely chopped up two ice cubes. Then died. So of course to my friend, I pointed and laughed.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:17 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathethert
I never actually owned this one but my friend did. It was magic bullet or something like that. a little compact hand sized chopping thing that supposedly chops fresh herbs, makes smoothies, chops veggies. Oh the wonders of it all!

It crudely chopped up two ice cubes. Then died. So of course to my friend, I pointed and laughed.
i love my Magic Bullet. it works for all kinds of stuff and i've had it since they very first came out. i wouldn't get rid of it for a million. she must've used it wrong.... it even says in the instruction booklet that it will break if you let it run for more than 60 seconds at a time.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:38 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I bought an immersion blender (Emeril calls them motor boats), spritzed myself the first time I used it and haven't used it since. Other than one of those vegetable choppers I received as a gift, it's the only unused turkey that I have.