"Zipper" storage bags ineptitude

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pac, were they folded in the box they came in, I mean across the zipper part? If so, SB has the right of it, the tracks are misaligned.

Good idea.

I just tried sealing them again. I pushed the zipper thing along with my thumb and index finger sealing the Ziploc as I went. And apparently it does seal from only one direction. So hopefully it is sealed all the way across now and I don't lose anymore liquid.

Yes, it should seal from one end and unseal the other direction. When you take them out of the box you will notice that they are sealed, you must "open" them with the zipper thingy, in order to use them. ( if you tried opening them by "pulling" or separating manually, the zipper pull will be in the wrong position) and unless they are misaligned they should work fine. I even use the "cheapo" dollar store ones with success, I hope all will be well with the bacon prep now!

Last edited:
That is two votes for the dollar store. Forget the brand name and head for the dollar store. Save money and aggravation. Along with your pork bellies. :angel:

I must say Chief, you and Andy are so helpful. The next time I have a problem, I will know right where to go. Straight to hell for even listening or entertaining any thought of listening to either one of you. The two of you are definitely an asset to this forum. Even for a laugh or two. Thank you. :angel:

Seriously, it is correct that a zipper bag must be opened with the zipper from the get-go. My problem is that zipper bags have only one seal. I have never had much luck with them. They were completely closed, and filled with food, usually with some kind of broth along with the food. Then, when the food filled bag was placed in the fridge, or freezer, the seal failed and spilled all over, hence the problem I have with zipper bags. I use the double seal bags exclusively. If Arthur decides to take up residence in my hands, I will simply use wire-bending pliers. They have rounded jaws, and so should slide along the plastic without problem.

Anyways, I don't like zipper bags as they have failed me.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't know, Dawg. It stinks, that's for sure.
I bought these large bags with the sole intent to use when I'm brining pork belly and the first two I use have the same problem.

When all else fails, use duct tape. It really is "the Force." It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together. ;)

I never trust plastic bags with liquid in them. I always put them in a dish, bowl or pan. Be advised, they only leak when you place them directly on the refrigerator shelf with no dish or pan under them.

They are on a half sheet pan, Andy.
Been there done that with nothing underneath meat in the fridge.

I must say Chief, you and Andy are so helpful. The next time I have a problem, I will know right where to go. Straight to hell for even listening or entertaining any thought of listening to either one of you. The two of you are definitely an asset to this forum. Even for a laugh or two. Thank you. :angel:

Addie, my problem is, I never know when they're joking and when they're serious! LOL

When all else fails, use duct tape. It really is "the Force." It has a dark side and a light side and holds the universe together. ;)
It is a well known fact that every tool box needs two things....a roll of duct tape and an can of WD-40. If it moves and it's not supposed to move, use the duct tape. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD-40.

Being frugal, I have always used the finger press bags because you get more bags for the buck. My husband gets so frustrated because he can't get them to close, so now I started buying the zipper ones. I think his fingers are too big to manipulate the finger press ones. I have no problem at all. Of course, he's also very impatient.

Don't say it Andy!!! LOL

Whoa. You can heat seal these? Do you think a Foodsaver would work?

I've been playing with my heat sealer and I've discovered that you can seal almost any plastic bag, although you can vacuum seal either those designed for vacuum sealing or those that are almost close. The rest, best you can do is sealing them without a vacuum.

Last edited:
Can't wait to give it a try. I almost picked up a new FS today.

Pac, if you don't have any success mechanically sealing the bag and, as you report, tape isn't working, how about trying to fold over the top of the bag(s) and securing them with several binder clips? I always keep several binder clips in my "tools" drawer in the kitchen for assorted uses. They might do the trick if other solutions fail.
I like this kind of clips:

$T2eC16ZHJG8E9nyfoUI(BRSfpRJcf!~~60_35.JPG

I get a bag for a buck at the dollar store.

Can't wait to give it a try. I almost picked up a new FS today.

I can't believe I got along all these years without a food sealer. It doesn't matter to me what brand, I have experience with only the one. I recall the TV advertising for years, and somehow it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe because I have double the purchase resistance to "Seen on TV" products.

They're so handy they're worth it even if you use yours only rarely.

I'm curious if anybody else has used theirs to seal plastic bags that weren't designed for sealing. I caution against trying to vacuum seal ordinary bags unless they're heavy duty.

Getting back to the OP, I suspect you had a defective batch. Mostly I'm too frugal to bother buying zip lock type baggies, just because the tie wrap equivalents are so much cheaper (like one-third the cost?)

I like to buy the expensive ones only for non-food use: like bagging photo, i-something and other types of electronic gear and attachments, because they keep my electronics dust free and I can seal and reseal them often.

So please send in your comments about heat sealing bags that weren't designed for heat sealing.

Greg, I know people who buy those rolls of plastic bags one finds in the produce section of supermarkets to use with a vacuum sealer.

I need to get over to wally world and pick up a new FS like tomorrow. The bacon is in the freezer and in need of some good sealing.
The ziplocs worked good enough for dry brining knowing that they can only seal from one direction. I just kept working it until it grabbed. Remember, these were the large 2.5 gallon size. I had to go to three stores before I even found them, so buying a dollar store variety around here is probably not in the cards. Of course, I could always cut the bellies into smaller pieces. Then I could even make my own baggies using a FS. But that would be more wasteful when it came to slicing them into strips of bacon.

Back
Top Bottom