"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-03-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

All Clad set at Williams Sonoma

Hi everyone, i'm going back to my dear country, Thailand soon. So i want to buy a cookware set back. what do you think on this set?
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/...dex.cfm?page=1
the 15 pieces set. Do you think it's worth the price? or any suggestion? Oh and what is tri ply?
thank youuu

Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

That is a LOT of money--top price obviously. Have you looked on Amazon? I believe even the Chef's Catalog would be less than that. And do you want all the pieces?
Costco and Sam's have All Cladd "knockoffs" that are very very good. And Wolfgang Puck's line is good.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

After researching for pots and pans myself, I've come to love all-clad the most. They are quite pricey though...

I know that if you make a registry at BBB, you will get a discount for all the items not bought from that registery. it's a lot of work, but I think you can save like 40%, worth it if you really want them.
Good luck!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

All-Clad is an excellent product. Top quality all the way.

Tri-ply refers to the construction. There are three layers of metal that make up the entire body of the pan - bottom and sides. There are two layers of stainless steel with a layer of aluminum on between. This construction provides the even heat distribution of aluminum with the durability and non-reactivity of the stainless.

All that being said. You can buy good quality tri-ply cookware for less money. Other places sell All-Clad for less and other brands perform as well as All-Clad for less.

If you're looking for a quick guaranteed solution regardless of cost. Buy that set. Otherwise, you can save a lot of money byshopping around.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I went with the All-Clad MC2 line which is basically the stainless line without the outter stainless layer.

Make a list of the pots/pans you use the most in your current kitchen and go by that. Often times the sets include a lot of pieces that will just end up collecting dust, or are just a little small or big for your needs. In my kitchen I went with the following... (all in MC2 except the roaster)

2x 8qt Stockpots w/Lids
2x 3qt Sauciers w/Lids
2x 1qt Sauciers
2x 10" Frypans
2x 8" Frypans
Large Stainless Roaster

Then to round it out I have...

1x 8" Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
1x 10" Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
1x 12" Lodge Cast Iron Skillet
2x Tramontina Disc-Bottomed 22qt Stockpots w/Lids
1x 10" T-Fal Non-Stick Aluminum Frypan

If your budget is around $1000, you can easily piece together a custom set that will be suited to your needs. Nothing in my setup collects dust except my 22qt stockpots which I only use 4-5 times a year to make stock or steam corn at BBQ's.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunamwan
Hi everyone, i'm going back to my dear country, Thailand soon. So i want to buy a cookware set back. what do you think on this set?
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/...dex.cfm?page=1
the 15 pieces set. Do you think it's worth the price? or any suggestion? Oh and what is tri ply?
thank youuu
I just took a closer look at the items in the set. I would make regular use of everything there except the pasta insert. In fact, I have all those pieces but they're not all All-Clad.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Master Chef

Might I suggest first you go to a store that sells the pieces and see if you like the feel and the weight of the pieces. I know personally the All Clad Stainless is too heavy for me...........thank goodness I tested it out prior to requesting it for a Christmas present.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
That is a LOT of money--top price obviously. Have you looked on Amazon? I believe even the Chef's Catalog would be less than that. And do you want all the pieces?
Costco and Sam's have All Cladd "knockoffs" that are very very good. And Wolfgang Puck's line is good.
Is the Wolfgang Puck line tri-ply all the way up the sides? I sometimes see pieces at TJ Maxx.

BC
Old 12-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
Is the Wolfgang Puck line tri-ply all the way up the sides? I sometimes see pieces at TJ Maxx.

BC

All the Puck cookware I've seen is disk on the bottom stuff, not tri-ply.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Andy probably has the answer for the PUck. KitchenAid is triply I believe and there are some unbelieveable sales on it.
The thing I hate about the All Clad is the handles however. Very thin and get VERY hot.