"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 07-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef
both the windsor and the saucier have their distinct uses. I like the windsor for things like boiling potatoes cause it won't boil over easily...the wider top disapates the escaping steam and spreads the bubbles. I have 1 2 and 3 qt of both styles, but then I'm somewhat obsessive. (No! really??)

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I have the 2 quart All-Clad copper core Saucier and a smaller All-Clad Windsor pan. Find that the saucier is used interchangeably as a sauce pan, small stock pot and a saucier. The windsor is used when it is absolutely a sauce and I want reduction as nothing seems to reduce and concentrate as fast. That said some delicate sauces or custards I don't use the windsor but a bain marie or a double boiler (have two of those one is flat bottomed the other rounded for zabaglione).

I bought the saucier first and use it the most. In All-clad it is the same diameter pot as their 31/2Qt soup pot or the 4 qt sauce so it can also be the base for the All-Clad double boiler or steamer insert.

oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #13
Judging from the names of saucier and Windsor they are french and english answers to the same issue of reduction sauce making.
More of what does not work will not work.
I'm not a chef but my smilie is!
Michael Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 AM   #14
Senior Cook
I can agree with Mike on the basis of language and they do come close to the same in size but what is so different is the taper to the sides. The windsor has a much narrower bottom than top. It is also a continuous taper so stove heat warms the side more uniformly. For that reason given a greater volume I may start a reduction in a saucier and then transfer it to a windsor. I can then lower the heat on a smaller volume of liquid continue reducing at the same rate or slower and not end up with a dry burnt pot but a balsamic reduction as thick as molasses to drizzle on pan seared salmon stakes.

The other twist to the two pans is kind of weird it seems to me that the windsor retains flavors in the reduction better and the saucier seems to let the kitchen smell great. That may just be in my imagination yet it sits in the back of my mind untested as I haven't two kitchens to sniff as each pot does the same reduction.

oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote