Baker's Secret

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glorie

Senior Cook
Does anyone else have this problem? My Baker's Secret cookie sheets work great for the first few bakes but then it loses it's non-stick and I have to cover it with foil and grease for nothing to stick.
:huh:

One of the best investments (baking-wise, that is) is those insulated cookie pans. If you watch, you can usually catch 'em on sale.

Also, you might consider the silpat baking mats. also another good bake-ware investment.

I have one of the insulated cookie sheets and don't like it much. I find that it doesn't brown the bottoms of cookies at all. It still gets use though, at least until I finally get around to buying a real peel.

Russel - How would you deal with the cookies if you had a peel. Would you then stone bake them.

Not heard from is parchment paper. It is marvelous. I would expect that a silpat would not brown the bottoms either.

AC

What I have found with my non stick bakeware is that they still require a small amount of oil/butter. I bake my own bread and use non stick pans, but have always oiled them with olive oil or else the bread sticks a bit. The same goes for my non stick skillet, I always have to use butter or oil (well, mainly with things like pikelets etc) It's a bit annoying really, kind of defeats the purpose in a way.

pds, I totally agree. Parchment is the best. I use it for cakes, cookies, brownies - whatever I don't want to think about sticking or cleanup afterward.

I still have my Teflon cookie sheets I began housekeeping with in 1968. The Teflon is shot but I use cut-to-fit Teflon mats, which work beautifully.

I have about 10 or so mats that I cut to fit all my different pans/sheets. Even have a number of round ones to use in cake pans.

Everything browns just perfectly with these mats.

I've seen but never used Baker's Secret products so I can't comment.

Russel - How would you deal with the cookies if you had a peel. Would you then stone bake them.

Hi AC,

I was unclear. I didn't mean I'd use the peel for cookies, I meant that the only use I have for the airbake pan is as a peel. I currently use my half sheet pans and my non-insulated cookie sheet for cookies when I make them (which is not actually all that often).

Not heard from is parchment paper. It is marvelous. I would expect that a silpat would not brown the bottoms either.

AC

I do use parchment & silpats. Like them both. I had expected that the silpat would inhibit browning too, but it doesn't seem to affect browning as far as I can tell.

What I have found with my non stick bakeware is that they still require a small amount of oil/butter. I bake my own bread and use non stick pans, but have always oiled them with olive oil or else the bread sticks a bit. The same goes for my non stick skillet, I always have to use butter or oil (well, mainly with things like pikelets etc) It's a bit annoying really, kind of defeats the purpose in a way.

Yep, as far as I can tell, the only thing nonstick does is increase profits for Dupont. I use unlined steel or aluminum bakeware and they get the same treatment as your nonstick. So why bother with nonstick?

Rusel - Actually you gave me an idea. Lay ou parchment on the counter and drop your ciikies on that then, I could use my peel to transfer them to my fibrament stone. - Stone baked cookies. Could be cool. They should cook more evenly.

AC

I like to use heavy gauge half size commercial sheet pans. And of course line or grease it.

Does anyone else have this problem? My Baker's Secret cookie sheets work great for the first few bakes but then it loses it's non-stick and I have to cover it with foil and grease for nothing to stick.
:huh:

Yep I just realized this with my Bakers Secret muffin pan last night. I sprayed it with a dusting of Pam and I had to dig my muffins out (although it did not help that the apricot preserves that I filled the middles of the muffins with spread out in a couple of the muffins. Those had to be torn out of the pan!)

-Katie

I use aluminum pans with silpats. The silpat doesn't inhibit browning, and there is a larger initial investment, but if you bake as often as I do, it pays for itself in the savings of using parchment paper. Also, you don't have to mess with parchment paper rolling up. I hate that.

The only place these don't excel is baking bread. The bottom never crisps enough unless I use parchment paper or pull the bread off the silpat at my first chance.

I use these

sm228211.jpg

I use these

sm228211.jpg
Me, too! I have 4 of them, 2 of which I've been using for over 20 years. I also have Silpats and parchment paper that fit in these sheet pans that I use for delicate cookies or really messy stuff that burns on easily but most of the time, I just use them as is. I can't tell you how many of these I have given to newlyweds or young people just setting up a household. They are indispensable IMHO.

Rusel - Actually you gave me an idea. Lay ou parchment on the counter and drop your ciikies on that then, I could use my peel to transfer them to my fibrament stone. - Stone baked cookies. Could be cool. They should cook more evenly.

AC

Now you're talkin! :chef:

I was considering using Silpats for my cookie baking, but I find I work much faster when I can slide the cookies en masse onto a wire rack, load my second parchment of cookies onto the sheet, and resume baking.

I started out with the nonstick cookie sheets and then was given Stone Cookie sheets from Pamper chef ... I make alot of cookies and have never been happier with the stone cookie sheet results ...

Back
Top Bottom