Best isothermal food bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flavio

Assistant Cook
I work all day, I don't have a microwave oven and I can't always use my slow cooker.

I'm tired of eating dinner cold, so I believe the best solution is an isothermal food bag. Maybe something like this:

image1_1.jpg

This is also very portable, which is great.

Any tips on this? I know there are may different systems and brands, which one should I choose?

How long does it keep the food warm?

He's trying to keep his food warm.

Have you used a bag similar to the one he posted? Do you have any recommendations for one?

He's trying to keep his food warm.

Have you used a bag similar to the one he posted? Do you have any recommendations for one?

Hmmm, after he has cooked the food, just how long does he expect to keep the food he's cooked at a safe temperature without expecting the food to be unsafe to eat? That's the question...

Personally, I've used a bag like that to transport a casserole to a destination, where it will be eaten very soon. It sounds to me like he wants to leave the food in there a LOT longer than that. But we'll never know if he never responds. sigh.

Hmmm, after he has cooked the food, just how long does he expect to keep the food he's cooked at a safe temperature without expecting the food to be unsafe to eat? That's the question...

Personally, I've used a bag like that to transport a casserole to a destination, where it will be eaten very soon. It sounds to me like he wants to leave the food in there a LOT longer than that. But we'll never know if he never responds. sigh.

Lol Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, that's it. I'm looking for a way to keep my food warm for a long time (i.e. several hours) or reheat it. A microwave oven is out of the question, I don't have any space in my kitchen and the food tastes a bit weird.

A portable stove isn't that brilliant. You don't want to cook.

They describe them as food warmers.

That's the problem here, there are many possibilities and I have no idea what the final results will be.

I'm guessing the good old bain-marie will provide the best results and the fact that it's electric makes it even better, safer and easier to use. This one seems nice:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commercial-Marie-Electric-Warmer-Gastro/dp/B0072U2BLC

The electric bags seem are extremely portable and easy to store but I seriously doubt they can heat up and keep the temperature properly.

I'm not so sure about portable ovens anymore, maybe they will dry out the food...

I believe I have just found the perfect solution and it was right in front of me all the time: my wonderful Thermomix.

tm_varoma_right.jpg

The plastic tray you see on top is the wonderful Varoma, which can be used to steam cook all types of ingredients but also to reheat food.

It takes a bit longer than a microwave oven (15 min.) but the final result is much better: the food is hot, moist and cooked to perfection.

They describe them as food warmers.

That's the problem here, there are many possibilities and I have no idea what the final results will be.

I'm guessing the good old bain-marie will provide the best results and the fact that it's electric makes it even better, safer and easier to use. This one seems nice:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commercial-Marie-Electric-Warmer-Gastro/dp/B0072U2BLC

The electric bags seem are extremely portable and easy to store but I seriously doubt they can heat up and keep the temperature properly.

I'm not so sure about portable ovens anymore, maybe they will dry out the food...

That Bain-Marie is NOT portable, it needs to sit on a heat safe countertop.

A portable food bag that is either battery or outlet powered is about all you can expect for your needs.
Other than that...it's portable hot plate types.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom