Big Heavy Pot or Electric Deep Fryer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bet I'm the only regular member here who has never "deep fried" anything, and I've been cooking all my life. I wasn't raised with deep fried foods so I guess I've never seen the need. Once in a while I enjoy deep fried fish and chips (hold the chips), but I order it out. I just don't care for French Fries. Shallow frying (like for chicken) with some oil in a skillet is fine with me.

What foods do the rest of you regularly deep fry?

Fish - I've done cod, catfish, tilapia - they all work okay for fish 'n chips. When we lived in the islands, I did grouper, mutton snapper, hogfish.

Shrimp, breaded and fried (I grew up on that back in the 50's when it was as cheap as hamburger, before shrimp drew a premium price), and I've done tempura too.

French fries

Wings

For what it's worth, this is the model I have. I think it works great, especially if you fry often for just a few people. I just don't use it much anymore, but it was always nice to just be able to close up the lid when done and get a few fryings out of a single filling of oil. The temperature control is a nice feature, too.

De'Longhi Cool Touch Deep Fryer in White - BedBathandBeyond.com

That is really nice. I like the way the temp control works. And the price is right. :angel:

I bet I'm the only regular member here who has never "deep fried" anything, and I've been cooking all my life. I wasn't raised with deep fried foods so I guess I've never seen the need. Once in a while I enjoy deep fried fish and chips (hold the chips), but I order it out. I just don't care for French Fries. Shallow frying (like for chicken) with some oil in a skillet is fine with me.

What foods do the rest of you regularly deep fry?

Yea! Someone else that doesn't like FF. I get odd looks when I go out and have the choice of potato. You can bet it is never a French Fry. Yuck. :angel:

I have and used the electric deep frier, but any more I use my 10" cast iron, which works great for fish, wings, and anything else, i don't need deep oil.

I bet I'm the only regular member here who has never "deep fried" anything...
Do you have room at your table for another non-fryer? I rarely have anything fried. I don't even like the greasy feel in my mouth from things like poorly-made pizza or take-out egg fu yung. I'll blot those things before diving in.

That list you linked to was rather...interesting. Again with mega-grease! Deep fried pizza??? :ermm: Why?

Do you have room at your table for another non-fryer? I rarely have anything fried. I don't even like the greasy feel in my mouth from things like poorly-made pizza or take-out egg fu yung. I'll blot those things before diving in.

That list you linked to was rather...interesting. Again with mega-grease! Deep fried pizza??? :ermm: Why?

Although I'm not rabidly anti-fried, I tend to agree that it is unnecessary to fry foods which are not traditionally made that way. That's just asking for trouble. It's easy enough to over do ones fried intake with traditionally fried foods that really are better that way (at least I think they are :yum: ).

Although I'm not rabidly anti-fried, I tend to agree that it is unnecessary to fry foods which are not traditionally made that way. That's just asking for trouble. It's easy enough to over do ones fried intake with traditionally fried foods that really are better that way (at least I think they are :yum: ).

One of those odd items is really good. If you've never had fried ice cream from Carlos & Totos restaurant in Barstow California, then you are just plain missing out on one of the great things in life.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Fish - I've done cod, catfish, tilapia - they all work okay for fish 'n chips. When we lived in the islands, I did grouper, mutton snapper, hogfish.

Shrimp, breaded and fried (I grew up on that back in the 50's when it was as cheap as hamburger, before shrimp drew a premium price), and I've done tempura too.

French fries

Wings
I haven't done it in a while but a favourite first course was wedges of camembert cheese double dipped, first in egg and then breadcrumbs and deep fried, Served with redcurrant (or cranberry) sauce or jelly.

I used to fry the camembert and cool it until I was ready to serve it and when I wanted it I just reheated it in the oven which also crisped it up nicely. Rather 1980s, da-a-r-ling, but I liked it. It's very unusual these days to serve a savoury after the dessert - the nearest you get is the ubiquitous cheese board - but if you wanted to revive the tradition you could serve the breaded camembert.

One of those odd items is really good. If you've never had fried ice cream from Carlos & Totos restaurant in Barstow California, then you are just plain missing out on one of the great things in life.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Let's see, I was last in Barstow California in 1966. I never heard of that place, but then I was only there briefly during a short stint at Ft. Irwin while I was in the Army Reserve. I never really saw any reason to go back. ;)

Just Googled it and it appears to be closed according to Yelp.com.

Last edited:
French fries
Chicken wings
Onion Rings
Fish filets
Fried Chicken

...and it might be fun to try other stuff.

Andy, I fry pretty much the same foods as you do, with the addition of diced potato (about the same size as playing dice), and home-made egg rolls and wontons. One thing I did deep that came out exceptional was naked steelhead trout fillets. I posted it previously in its own thread. I simply took the frozen filet, with not coating, seasoning or anything else, skin on, and dropped it into the hot oil (yep, in that big wok) and let sizzle for ten minutes. When I took it out, I simply seasoned with salt. That was possible the best tasting chunk of steelhead I've ever eaten. I mention it here because it's worth repeating.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom