"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Question Cast iron seasoning question

Last night I re seasoned my grandmothers cast iron dutch oven.

The pan was not in bad shape but has been dormant for some time (granny passed years ago and I dont think she was cooking with it in her later years)

I am hoping to use it first to braise a pork shoulder see my questions here:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...d-42645-4.html

So I scrubbed it up with a doobie pad some kosher salt and baking soda dried on low burner coated with crisco and put in the oven upside down at 450 for 1 1/2 hours.

I am not sure of the result. It seems OK and not tacky but the bottom looks sort of marbelized alternating between shiny black and matte

so my question is... do I

a) want to re-apply crisco as is and put back in oven

b) scrub down again and re-apply

c) fry some bacon in it and call it good

d) just go ahead and make my pork shoulder and see how it cleans up?

I want to get this one right because I have a trio of griswold skillets and another DO that I need to clean and season too.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hmmmm. If you fried some bacon in it, some of the leftover rendered fat might really contribute to that pork. Kills two birds with one stone.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Someone on here recently had some really nice pics and descriptions of seasoning a CI pan that sorely needed it.

I seasoned my DO a month ago or so that had turned rusty in my basement, I think due to some chlorine tablets being down there, too. I wire brushed it, put a thin layer of vegetable oil in it and wiped with a paper towel, then in the oven at 300 or so (don't remember) for maybe an hour, then cooled it down.
I cooked some crusty bread in it an hour later and no sticking at all. It was shiny, but not sticky (oil too thick if it's sticky). I wouldn't say it had a matte finish anywhere....

Bacon sounds good anyway
Old 04-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Frying bacon never hurts a CI pan. It can only help.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Sous Chef

bacon is ALWAYS good

had not thought of leaving the renderd fat in with the roast.... that's an idea. Then I will have something to snack on while the pork cooks away.

I am excited to use this pot... the previous owner was a very good cook... It is a nice one I think 12" around with a glass lid and straight sides. I suspect it is pretty old but you cant read the markings on the bottom anymore. It is in beautiful shape as it is from that time when people bought things once for a lifetime.

could use some pointers on cooking the shoulder too want to do her legacy juctice.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Don't depend on a timer. It's done when it's done. I think an internal temp between 195 and 205 is pullable. Around 190 is still very tasty and can be sliced.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I suspect it is pretty old but you cant read the markings on the bottom anymore. It is in beautiful shape as it is from that time when people bought things once for a lifetime.
Um...don't want to be a smart alec here, but if the cast iron has worn to the point you can no longer read the markings...yeah...that's old. Like archaeology old

And my CI is glossy end to end, no matte at all, I've had it for six months and have only cooked greasy foods () and fried chicken in it so far. I'm ready to try a pan cornbread next, but even though I can practically see myself in the shine on this pan, I'm a bit nervous about the seasoning... can't help it...

My pointer for pork roasts is this, about 30-45 minutes or so before you pull it out of the oven, put some pear halves and apple halves (cored of course) sprinkled with some cinnamon and sugar in with it. they taste delicious, and add a nice sweet end to any glaze you might make from the pan drippings
Old 04-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Sous Chef

LOL! its not THAT old.... it liooks like there was just a name on the bottom of the pot probably was not that deep a marking my guess would be that it is from the 40s or 50s as that was pretty much what everything in thier house dated from but who knows... It is in pretty good shape and the interior of the pot is quite smooth.

the thing I am concerned about is the uneven quality of the seasoning on the pan bottom I dont know if I sould add more withut taking it down a bit first.

I got some fancy smoked thick cut bacon at the market on my luch break I am looking foward to going home and seasoning away

I also picked up some fennell which I think will go nicely with the pork and apples and give a nice flavor to the braising liquid
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
LOL! its not THAT old.... it liooks like there was just a name on the bottom of the pot probably was not that deep a marking my guess would be that it is from the 40s or 50s as that was pretty much what everything in thier house dated from but who knows... It is in pretty good shape and the interior of the pot is quite smooth.

the thing I am concerned about is the uneven quality of the seasoning on the pan bottom I dont know if I sould add more withut taking it down a bit first.

I got some fancy smoked thick cut bacon at the market on my luch break I am looking foward to going home and seasoning away

I also picked up some fennell which I think will go nicely with the pork and apples and give a nice flavor to the braising liquid
It probobly just needs to be used. I resurrected some old skillets last year that were all rusty and junk. I cleaned the crud off them with brillo pads, soap and water. After I wash mine, I put it over a stovetop burner on medium to dry, then while it's still warm I wipe on some veggie oil and let it soak in. I let it rest there for a while then wipe off the excess oil with a clean paper towel.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Loving to always have some bacon on hand it is the item to be first in any CI that I have reseasoned.