"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Add a chin strap and it might make a nice hat for working in the garden.

The major problem with a cast iron wok is that the entire wok will be the same temperature. When cooking in a wok, you need the ability to move certain items that are cooking too fast, or have finished cooking, into the higher areas of the wok that are less hot, so that everything finishes cooking at the same time. This is also why a teflon coated wok is less than desireable. If you move the faster cooking food up the sides, it slides right back down into the bottom!

If your temperature is dropping too much when you add food to it, you are using too much food for the size of your wok. Cook in smaller batches, or buy a bigger carbon steel wok.
Well dang i actually liked it so it looks like im going to order another one for my hat . Actually that was a good one :).

Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not "venting" here but ever since this topic came up..I remembered..I have one those little devils!! At the present it is playing hide-N-see with me. I will find it and give it a try and report my finding here.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I am not "venting" here but ever since this topic came up..I remembered..I have one those little devils!! At the present it is playing hide-N-see with me. I will find it and give it a try and report my finding here.
That would be cool. Let us know Bob what you think. My opinion now that i have worked with a cast iron wok is that i think its better for the home range. If i had one of those SUPER HOT resteraunt burners than i would probably switch back to carbon steel but even with the higher powered gas burners (mine is 16,000BTU) which is at near the top of BTU for home gas ranges (i think i seen one once that was 18,000 but its not going to make THAT much of a difference). I will still use my carbon steel for some dishes and when i know im not going to put a lot of vegetables or other things that would produce a lot of water when you cook them. This thing would probably work great if you put it on top of the coals directly with a charcoal grill. If your going to use a turkey fryer for woking then a round bottom carbon steel unit is probably the best.

Ncage
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Still looking Ncage....I do use a fish cooker at times with a round bottom steel wok..Now where is that thing?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I found by inverting the wok ring, I get the center of my wok nearer the gas, and get a much hotter pan.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I gotta say, you have definitely peaked my interest with your Cast Iron Wok. I upgraded my Rice cooker this year and planned on putting my older rice cooker in the Camper. I guess the natural companion to a Rice Cooker when camping is a Cast Iron Wok.. Nice price too..

-Brad
Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I found by inverting the wok ring, I get the center of my wok nearer the gas, and get a much hotter pan.
I do this too Robo...sometimes I don't use the ring..just let it sit on the bruner grate. I usually have one hand on the handle and one on the Chan anyway It sits a little sideways but still works. It does get very hot!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Mr. NCage1975

Well I found the little devil...right before my eyes. If it had been a....well you know.

I used it tonight for stir fry. It took a we bit longer to get hot than the carbon steel one does. It does retain heat longer however:which I believe is typical for Cast Iron. I cooked in small batches, Chicken, then three more batches of different veggies. It performed well even after adding all 'goodies" back in at the end. The only draw back to mine is..it is only 12" dia and somewhat shallow as compared to my carbon steel one at 14" and much deeper. Day in and day out...I still prefer the carbon one if for no other reason than size...more room to work. This Cast one was a "freebie" at one of the banks I do business with for opening a new acccount. I stepped into the Mgrs. office and suggested that I receive one as a bonus for Not Closing an account or two..Since she knows Uncle Bob, she smiled and handed me one Anyway it is an import..not a Lodge etc..
So I hope this helps you somewhat.

Enjoy..

Uncle Bob/

Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Mr. NCage1975

Well I found the little devil...right before my eyes. If it had been a....well you know.

I used it tonight for stir fry. It took a we bit longer to get hot than the carbon steel one does. It does retain heat longer however:which I believe is typical for Cast Iron. I cooked in small batches, Chicken, then three more batches of different veggies. It performed well even after adding all 'goodies" back in at the end. The only draw back to mine is..it is only 12" dia and somewhat shallow as compared to my carbon steel one at 14" and much deeper. Day in and day out...I still prefer the carbon one if for no other reason than size...more room to work. This Cast one was a "freebie" at one of the banks I do business with for opening a new acccount. I stepped into the Mgrs. office and suggested that I receive one as a bonus for Not Closing an account or two..Since she knows Uncle Bob, she smiled and handed me one Anyway it is an import..not a Lodge etc..
So I hope this helps you somewhat.

Enjoy..

Uncle Bob/
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I just installed Vista x64 on my computer so i had to have a few days to set uverything up. I wish you could try to the wok i have. Its very large. I think you might just like it. Like yours mine is an import which i actually prefer. Lodge is great cast iron cookware but lodge would be way to thick for woking. You would probably have trouble cooling everything down after your done cooking. I think the import cast iron that is thinner is the perfect compromise and mine was only $16 shipped. What a steal since this thing probably cost almost that much to ship ;). I already used it 3 more times and for me there is no going back.

Ncage