"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Master Chef

Mine is a carbon steel from The Wok Shop

Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Bright idea for a lid to cure my complaint. I have a shallow 12" stainless steel mixing bowl with a flat bottom. I am going to drill a hole in the side, just high enough from the bottom to let the bowl sit flat when I install a drawer pull on it. I can prep into it, dump into the wok, cover, and have a handle.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Bright idea for a lid to cure my complaint. I have a shallow 12" stainless steel mixing bowl with a flat bottom. I am going to drill a hole in the side, just high enough from the bottom to let the bowl sit flat when I install a drawer pull on it. I can prep into it, dump into the wok, cover, and have a handle.

I'm not sure why it's important to have a lid double as a bowl, or have a bowl double as a lid.

The only time I use the lid for my wok is when I use the wok to steam foods. I never use the lid for stir-frys so it is somewhere in the basement. When I do my prep, the cut up veggies go on a plate and some small mise en plas bowls. The meat is usually in a bowl marinating before cooking.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The only time I use the lid for my wok is when I use the wok to steam foods.
It's handy to have a lid even if just for keeping the remainder of the meal hot after you've served everybody initial servings.

Also, I use my wok for all kinds of cooking besides just stir fry. At present time (living in temporary quarters, very small kitchen) my wok is my main large pan and I cook almost everything in it. About all else I have is a small skillet, small sauce pan and a baking dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Carbon steel is the way to go. Teflon coating defeats the purpose of a wok.
I'm not enough of an expert to expound on the subject. Please define the purpose of a wok as related to non-stick coatings. I'm using a non-stick wok and I'm still able to push foods up the sides to slow their cooking and push foods into the middle to cook them faster. Is that what you're referring to?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
...I'm not enough of an expert to expound on the subject. Please define the purpose of a wok as related to non-stick coatings. I'm using a non-stick wok and I'm still able to push foods up the sides to slow their cooking and push foods into the middle to cook them faster. Is that what you're referring to?

Stir-frying calls for very high heat to quickly cook relatively small pieces of food very quickly. That being the case, teflon coatings are not happy at very high heat, so they are not appropriate for a wok.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Stir-frying calls for very high heat to quickly cook relatively small pieces of food very quickly. That being the case, teflon coatings are not happy at very high heat, so they are not appropriate for a wok.
The "very high heat" Teflon problem is usually encountered when heating empty pans.

I'll agree that wok cooking often uses high heat but I quarrel with the "very" part of it. In my experience (I cook Asian often and use a wok often) wok cooking heats are no higher than encountered in mainstream recipes using conventional cookware.

Certainly not so high as to reach the trigger threshold for hazards from overheating non-stick coatings such as Teflon. At least not with food in the pan and moisture to mediate direct heating. (Steam carries off excess heat. Thermal mass resists acceleration of temperature as in an empty pan.)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
Head Chef

Another vote for carbon steel. Great article on choosing a wok here:
Equipment: How to Buy a Wok | Serious Eats
Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
Executive Chef

No Teflon Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
The "very high heat" Teflon problem is usually encountered when heating empty pans.

I'll agree that wok cooking often uses high heat but I quarrel with the "very" part of it. In my experience (I cook Asian often and use a wok often) wok cooking heats are no higher than encountered in mainstream recipes using conventional cookware.

Certainly not so high as to reach the trigger threshold for hazards from overheating non-stick coatings such as Teflon. At least not with food in the pan and moisture to mediate direct heating. (Steam carries off excess heat. Thermal mass resists acceleration of temperature as in an empty pan.)
Just one example of the many videos on wok cooking-
Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Nice video. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
We like carbon steel; See-
Woks
Thanks for the link!Think ill get the 14" Helen Chen Carbon Steel Flat-Bottom Wok 4-Pc Set.$36($44.94 shipped) with lid is best deal I seen.Is helen chen a good brand?What brands do you all have?I'm with gadzooks on lids.Seems hard to find one that fits right