Cooktop Grills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I would love to have a grill that fits over 2 burners, like the ones on t.v. One catch, though. Mine is a glass cooktop, and I seem to remember someone on here saying they should not be used over 2 burners on my type of stove, but don't remember the reason why. Can anyone enlighten me?

I've used 2 elements simultaneously on my glasstop to deglaze a roasting pan and make gravy, but never used it at the higher heat necessary for grilling. Don't know if that would harm the range, or maybe just not get even enough heat to grill properly. :ermm:

Last edited:
My booklet doesn't say anything about it, either. I'd just hate like the devil to burnout my stove. May just have to stick to grilling outside.
Thanks, guys

I've been curious on this question as well. I've often used two burners for holiday dinner gravies on my mom's stove. Mine has an oval burner for that purpose, but I've wondered about using two burners under a griddle/grill myself. Hopefully someone here will chime in with experience in doing it.

some of the newer glass tops have a between burner extender for stove top grills. I would think one that sat flat on the stove such as a calphalon or allclad would be better for glasstop that one of the cast iron reversibles where heat could build up in the air space. However, call the range manufacturer customer service line and see ahet answer you get.
I think it should be safe.

To expand on what robo said ... which was in the right direction .... I think the problem is the pan bottom.

From what I have read, the ceramic/glass cooktops need a flat bottom pan. The reversable cast iron grill/griddles are not flat - they have a lip so it doesn't fit flush against the burner.

You don't need to buy All-Clad or Calphalon - just something with a flat bottom. Something that is aluminum with or without a nonstick surface will be just fine. You'll just need two pans - one grill pan and one griddle.

Those stove top grills are meant to be placed on two gas burners to work correctly.
Michael is right, the glass burners need something to fit flat and snugly in order to heat it properly.

also make sure you have a very good range hood, and no smoke detectors nearby. When I use mine I have an exhaust fan in the window as well as the range hood.

I also reiterate what Robo and Michael said - the key is the flat bottom. You can definately buy both grill and griddle pan separately.

Back
Top Bottom