"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Copper cookware .. Hoan from France

Has anyone an opinion of Hoan copper cookware made in France? I just picked up a used 2 qt sauce pan with lid. Tin lined. It looks about 2 mm of copper and is generally in good shape. I have lots of other cookware, but want to add a few copper pieces.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Head Chef

Never heard of Hoan copper. I would buy a 2mm french copper pot w/lid if the price was right, especially if it had a CI handle. Price must be right, interior good, or cheap enough to have retinned. Retinning is $5/running inch (L + H) + shipping. For a 1 quart pot that is about $50.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Senior Cook

ebay bargain

Purchase on ebay, low price. Tin looks good. 2 qt is good size for testing out a sauce or ... Maybe the seller is reading the brand wrong.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Pot cost $30. Handles are brass loop handles. Can't be sure of the copper thickness until it arrives and can be measured. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoan pan 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	8067  
Old 05-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Cook

The Haun made in France pot arrived. Nice size and shape. The copper is 1.5 mm and the pot and lid need re-tinning. Probably had laquer finish that was not completely removed before cooking and has left some dark spots. Mirror finish partly un-mirrored from cleaning. Maybe good for liquid cooking like chicken soup but due to the 1.5 copper probably not good for a heavy braise like oxtail stew. I've written to Rocky Mountain to see if they think it's worth re-tinning.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Head Chef

Unless you have copper showing, there is no need to re tin. Tin will darken with use, and dark spots would be normal. I have a pot that just arrived from Rocky Mountain Retinning. After a couple uses, the lid is showing dark color. Especially on a lid, no harm done. The liquid hitting a lid is mostly steam. It is acids that will interact with copper.

1.5 MM is worth retinning. I personally prefer lighter copper in skillets as they are easier to toss.

Incidentally, RMR has a set of 4 3 mm saucepans in four sizes for around $350 w/lids. These have cast iron handles, including the lids, and are hand hammered. Peter assembles them from a bunch of parts he obtained a few years ago, and then tins on premises. These are among my best pots. Check his site.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Wearing my spectacles, I can see a small spot of copper showing through the tin on the bottom of the pot and the lid shows copper all around the edges (from wear, not design). I don't mind having it re-tinned, just wanted to be sure the 1.5 mm copper was worth it. Perhaps I should have it polished too.

I like the pot; there is just something nice about the proportions and lift. Although the handles are brass, they are made like cast iron -- that texture and look.

Yes, I have been looking at that set of saucepans at Rocky Mountain. The old fashioned lids are nice too. What do you cook in them?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Head Chef

The sauce pans are my most used pans, out of the 25 or so copper pans and skillets that I have. I use them for everything from boiling water for morning coffee to sauces, boiling small lots of vegetables to making hunmingbird food. Anything up to 2 quarts of liquid heat quickly, and temperature control is easy.

I wouldn't worry about any copper showing in those small amounts. You are going to get another year out of them. The lid should be all right as it mostly drops steam.

Retinning at most shops includes polishing.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Well, good. I'll cook something in that pot today. I will probably buy the set from Rocky Mountain but not yet. In June I'll visit a city that has Williams Sonoma and I would like to see and handle some Mauviel. It looks great on their web site. W-S does not show any tin-lined pieces on theirs. I also wrote to deHillerin in Paris for a quote on some pieces. So we shall see.

I thought the re-tinning would include polishing, but Rocky Mountain gives an additional rate for polishing ($2.50 per inch).
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Executive Chef

a few W S Mauviel pieces are still tinned, such as the soup kettle and the potato steamer. But most are now stainless lined. (A lot of the tinned hit Marshalls several years ago) Fantes still has some French tinned copper.

Fante's Kitchen Wares Shop - fantes.com

Tags
copper, france, hoan, tin lined