"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Did I get some "bad" All-Clad?

Just purchased the 10pc AC SS set at Macy's and I'm a bit surprised by a couple of things:

- The bottoms aren't flat. I can put a straight edge across the bottom of the 10" fry and the 3qt saute and see a definite "dome" effect where the center is higher and the pan slopes off to the sides. As I have a ceramic glasstop stove will this cause problems with uneven heating or wasted energy? And shouldn't the pan be flat anyway for coating with oil?

- The finishes are more delicate than I was expecting. I pan-seared a beef filet in the saute pan, and flipping it with a SS turner left a nasty scratch across the bottom. AC's own utensils are SS - why would they sell something that would scratch their own pans?

- Cleaned up with Bar Keeper's Friend and a wet terry cotton rag and there are dull streaks/scratches wherever I applied some elbow grease.

Everywhere I researched I heard AC was the best and US-made and all that, so are the above experiences normal?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quite surprised to hear this about AllClad

1) yes pans should be FLAT return them

2) all pans scratch but unless you were turning your food with a hatchet what you said happened is not normal.

3) barkeepers should make them shine

return them, write the company, etc

Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thumbs down All Bad

I'd be off to Macy's to return that set, if it were me. This is dismaying to hear. I only own one piece of All Clad, it was a scratch & dent but it sits perfect.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
Quite surprised to hear this about AllClad

1) yes pans should be FLAT return them

2) all pans scratch but unless you were turning your food with a hatchet what you said happened is not normal.

3) barkeepers should make them shine

return them, write the company, etc

I agree. They should be flat and stay flat forever unless you do something very insane to them. This alone is reason to return them, but they should also shine and not scratch that easily.

I am under the impression that All Clad sometimes is commissioned by Macy's and other retailers to make special products or cheaper products and that often these are made in China and are not of expected quality.

I also think Macy's has gone really downhill.

Were these on sale?

If I were you, I would return them immediately and use the refund to shop for replacement All Clad at Cookware and More's website. They sell cosmetic seconds at seriously discounted prices. And non-seconds for cheaper than retial, too.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I don't know what is meant by straight edge, to me a straight edge is marked Starrett or Lufkin (ie), to others a 'straight edge' can be had at a grammar school supply (next to the round nosed scissors).

The pan not sitting solidly on the cooktop would be enough reason to return it.

Far as the scratch, well, aluminum is a soft metal, we don't know if the spatch was used as though the pan were steel or iron, or if the flipper has burrs, etc.

And has been mentioned, the pan could have been made to Macys quality and not a real quality, though I wouldn't want to think Wear-Ever would put their name on a known inferior instrument.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
...Far as the scratch, well, aluminum is a soft metal, we don't know if the spatch was used as though the pan were steel or iron, or if the flipper has burrs, etc...

With All-Clad SS there is no aluminum cooking surface, just SS. the alum. is sandwiched between the SS layers.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post
Just purchased the 10pc AC SS set at Macy's and I'm a bit surprised by a couple of things:

- The bottoms aren't flat. I can put a straight edge across the bottom of the 10" fry and the 3qt saute and see a definite "dome" effect where the center is higher and the pan slopes off to the sides. As I have a ceramic glasstop stove will this cause problems with uneven heating or wasted energy? And shouldn't the pan be flat anyway for coating with oil?

- The finishes are more delicate than I was expecting. I pan-seared a beef filet in the saute pan, and flipping it with a SS turner left a nasty scratch across the bottom. AC's own utensils are SS - why would they sell something that would scratch their own pans?

- Cleaned up with Bar Keeper's Friend and a wet terry cotton rag and there are dull streaks/scratches wherever I applied some elbow grease.

Everywhere I researched I heard AC was the best and US-made and all that, so are the above experiences normal?

Thanks.
Don't plan on the super high shine for the rest of the pans life. Everyday use will surely take it's toll on that finish.

just sayin'
Old 02-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Don't plan on the super high shine for the rest of the pans life. Everyday use will surely take it's toll on that finish.

just sayin'

Mine are pretty darn shiny after 10 years. Seriously. They should never look "dull."
Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Mine are pretty darn shiny after 10 years. Seriously. They should never look "dull."

Agreed. My SS stuff is still shiny too. Gotta love Barkeeper's Friend.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
If I were you, I would return them immediately and use the refund to shop for replacement All Clad at Cookware and More's website. They sell cosmetic seconds at seriously discounted prices. And non-seconds for cheaper than retial, too.
That place is in Pa , I will have to go check it out. I'm interested in All Clad too.