French Baumalu copper cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
me again...newbie...on copper pots

OK...newbie here again....Michael I know you and everyone else are tired of my copper pot questions....but I have another...I still haven't used my pots yet, partly because Im scared, but mostly because our pup is recovering from surgery and I haven't had the time to properly "prepare" my pots....IM SOOOO confused!!! how do I know if they are lacquered or not and if they are how do I know if the lacquer is OFF, I have mineral spirits that Im going to use do I just put some on a cloth and start wiping? Sorry, I promise to try:cool: and make this the last question about this.... I appreciate everyones help

Thanks Michael!

Okay, I will be patient. The years I have spent abusing my cookware have now come to an end. :angel: Thank you so much for your time!

copper pot for frying

Thanks Andy for your great help! I think I will get a cast iron pot for frying.

Lisa H. said:
Okay, I will be patient. The years I have spent abusing my cookware have now come to an end. :angel: Thank you so much for your time!

I should have asked this last time ... were you just trying to boil water? And, if so how much? 20-mins seems like a long time for copper to bring some water to a boil unless you're talking about a very large quantity of water or at a very low temp.

Sheila - don't worry about it - we're all here to help each other!

RE: Mineral Spirtis - there are different grades (some artist grades may not work) .... what you have may work, but I know that Acetone or Lacquer Thinner will!

I don't know if your copper is coated with lacquer or not .... you should have gotten instructions with your cookware ... they should tell you. If you got instructions and they don't tell you to remove the lacquer before use (and they should have told you how) then there is a chance it is not lacquer coated.

Moisten a cotton-ball, or a folded up paper towel, with some acetone/lacquer thinner and rub in a small circular motion for a minute (ok - maybe just 30-secs) - then rinse with cold water and wipe dry with a paper towel. If it is coated with lacquer you will be able to see it.

You only need to do this to the outside/copper surface - the inside will not be coated with lacquer.

Baumalu pots at Tues. Morning

Hello there!

My name is Susie, I love to cook, and I came across your website this afternoon. I just registered, and this is the first thread I read and this is my first post.

My mom got one o these pots, that Sheila got. I am planning on investing in them and get myselt 6 pots for Christmas. The small pamphlet says very little, and I am concerned.

Thanks for your patience. But regarding the tin on the inside. It can't be heated over 350 degrees? So, are copper pots not meant for the oven? I thought they were.

I have been using Le-Creuset for over 10 years. But now got one of those flat stove ranges and my old cast iron pots are scratching the top. So, I am considering spending some money on these copper pots. They range from $150, to as little as $79 for a frying pan, and they look beautiful. They are not too heavy, and I was surprized. Thought copper was as heavy as the enameled cast iron.

To add to what Michael has been saying; Tin is a soft metal that melts at realatively low temperatures. Most cooking in cast iron or stainless steel is done at somewhere around 340 to 360 degrees, and sometimes higher (like when you want to sear a steak). Tin is harder than lead, but will still scratch easily. Typically, tin-line copper cookwear will need to be re-tinned eventually. Tin is used to line the copper for multiple reasons, first, it is not poisonous, second, it is non-reactive to mild acids and alkalies, such as found in foods, and third, when molten tin comes in contact with clean copper, it formes a molecular bond (think lead/tin electrical solder, or silver/tin plumbing solder). The bond causes the metal to actually become an allow where the two metals meat. And because tin bonds so easily to copper, it is a natural for use in lining the highly reactive copper pots.

By combining the two metals, you get the extreme thermal conductivity of the copper, and the safety of the tin. Copper can be poisonous if too much is ingested.

Also remember, foods absorb some of the thermal energy, which is what causes them to cook, and in so doing, cool the surface of the pot. Water is a great heat absorber and will not let the container that holds it get much over 212' to 216' F. while the water is in the pot (boiling point of water). In fact, we did an experiment when I was in Boy Scouts (a thousand years ago I think), where we boiled water in a paper cup. The water absorbed enough heat energy to keep the flamable paper from reaching its ignition point.

What this means is that as long as the pot has something in it, it really shouldn't have a problem with moderate heat (medium to medium high) when boiling or simmering liquids. With more solid foods, I wouldn't cook anything above medium heat.

Another thing, materials that are creat conductors of thermal energy, are also great at giving up that energy. This means that foods or liquids contacting the cooking surface of your copper pots will cook faster, absorb more thermal energy faster, than they would in a less conductive material. Your pots heat more quickly and give energy to the foods more readily. That is the beauty of copper cookwear.

The most critcal time for you pots is when you will be heating them up, before the food is added. If you heat your frying pan dry, it will heat very quickly, and since there is nothing to absorb the thermal energy, the metal could go beyond temperatures for which it is designed, that is, the tin might melt. That is why you will need to use care when heating your copper cookwear.

This isn't something to be afraid of, just something to be aware of, so you can adjust your cooking habits. Use your cookwear as it is designed to be used and you will get years of pleasurable cooking from it.

As for the laquer, go ahead and assume it is laquered. Dipping the pans in acetone, or other laquer removers won't hurt the pans if they aren't laquered, but is certainly necessary if they are.

And for the record, I have no personal experience with copper cookwear, but know about metals and thermal properties from physics classes, as well as from years of working with solders (tin/lead, tin/silver) in electronics.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Michael in FtW and Sheila and PotsandCooks,
I have been using Baumalu (2 mm wall thickness) for quite a while. All the pots come lacquered (copper side only) to reduce cooper oxidation during shipping. Use Acetone to remove the coating.
Relative to temperature for cooking, just don't leave an empty pan on a burner, even at low setting. See Goodweed comment about water in a paper cup. If you are doing soups or heating water, you can use a higher temperature setting; but if you are cooking a small amount of food, specially solids that are not in full contact with the bottom surface of the pan, keep your burner setting at medium or lower and don't use metal (stainless steel) utensils. Instead, use wood or silicone coated spoons, etc. to avoid scratching the tin surface and exposing the cooper.
These pots are extremely efficient, I own some Faulk Culinaire (Cooper+Stainless Steel) and don't heat up that fast. I rarely use higher than medium setting on my gas burners.

Pans, called France.

I too purchased baulmalu copper pans and called France the customer rep there was very helpful. She told me that I needed to use acetone to remove the varnish off the pans. Moreover, the pans can tolerate 220-Celsius heat, which is around 425 F in the oven.

A quick question can anyone who has used the pans shed some light on Baulmalu pans durability and cooking capabilities.
geetika.

geetika,
I have Baumalu pans, got to know them in France thru some friends that work in the culinary industry and purchased my first frying pan in 2002. I ended up with seven total (2 fry pans, 2 Windsor pans, 2 sautee pans and one casserole), they are great.
When cleaning them with acetone, make sure you only do it on the outside since the varnish is only on the cooper. I clean these pans with warm water and soap and use wooden spoons only to avoid damaging the tin, which is holding pretty good so far.
I guess wear will depend in how often you use the pans. If the cooper needs polishing, I rub a mix of baking soda with lemon juice or salt and vinegar.
Relative to temperature of use (I am not sure what kind of stove you have, I have gas) you will notice that will require less heating because of the cooper efficiency. I had to put pieces of cork on all the lids, because even with low heat, it is very hard to handle them since they are too hot. Make sure you don't leave a pan empty on the stove.
PM is you need more information and enjoy them !

Thanks, to all the forum members who shed some light on the confusion I had regarding the Baumalu pans. I have an electric stove and wonder if that affects the heat conductivity of the pans. Anyways, I am waiting to receive an email from the company that sells these pans from France and will post any useful tips that are sent in the mail.

Merci!

geetika,
An electric stove will not affect the conductivity of the pans. Perhaps the heating of the element can't be controlled as good as a gas element, but the pans should work jut fine.
I used one of my pans at a friend's kitchen for Thanksgiving and it was fine.
I don't know how induction heating elements work, but from what I've read these pans are not compatible since they have no magnetic properties.

Induction elements don't require magnetic metals to work. This is a fallacy. Induction stoves work by creating a magnetic field that expands and contracts in relation to the alternating current passing through copper windings, with a steel core to focus the magnetic field (like one side fo a transformer). As the moving field passes over the pan metal, it induces electical currents in the pan called "eddy currents". As iron is a fairly poor electrical conductor, these eddy currents create heat due to the natural resistance of the pan metal. Ferric metals in general are poor conductors, which is why they are not used as wires (at least that's one of the reasons they're not used). Both aluminum and copper are excellent conductors of electricity, with very low electrical resistance. Gold is as good or better. None of these will create much heat when an electrical current runs through them. But, if you pass enough current through them, as when uncontrolled current runs through the windings of a stalled motor, then even copper and aluminum will get hot enough to destroy the winding integrity, melting the insullation and creating short circuit conditions within the motor.

Don't worry about the electrical current generated in the iron or steel pans though. There is not enough to even tickle you. Besides, you don't create a closed circuit for current to flow through.

Copper and aluminum pans don't work on induction stoves because they don't have enough electrical resistance to generate sufficeint heat to be usable. It as nothing to do with pan magnetics.

There. I've said it and the misinformation is laid to rest. I'm a satisfied man again, even if this had nothing to do with cooking, or the topic.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I will be using my new copper pans today in the evening, can not wait to do sooooo!!!! Well since, you allayed my fears about using it on a electric stove I am looking at a French recipe book-a good start to cook in a French pot. I think copper can not be used on induction heat.

Also, I wiped clean my pots with acetone twice is that good enough? A greenish-black hue appeared on my towel while cleaning it, was that the varnish wearing off the copper pot? Thanks, wysiwyg for helping me and let me know of any other tips that I can benefit from.:chef:

Bonjour!!

for those of us who want copper and have induction units, there is now an induction ready burner plate to put between the induction stove and the copper pot. just fyi. no I don't have one.

geetika,
Wiping your Baumalu cookware with a cotton piece embebbed with acetone should be enough to clean the cooper. Not cleaning the cookware will not affect the performance, it will just turn the cooper really dark when exposed to heat and will be more difficult to clean afterward.
Bonne chance and salut!

Thanks, wysiwyg for providing me with useful tips regarding the Baumalu cookware. I was just wondering does the tin lining inside discolor with regular use of the cookware? and if so can I use some organic methods of cleaning the lining?

Also it is cool that one can use copper on induction heat.

Bon Appetit!

geetika,
I never thought about this... I regularly clean my pans with hot water and soap and dry them right away. Anyways, I check my pans and in some, the tin looks darker and more dull so I did a test. Mixing lemon juice with baking soda help bring up the shine, but it wasn't amazing. I didn't want to try something more abrasive like regular or sea salt until I get more information about tin hardness. I also going to check with my sister, she is a Biochemical Dr. perhaps she knows about tin interaction with acids, etc.
As soon as I know, I will let you know.

A few words about cleaning new copper cookware.
If you really want to know whether your copper is lacquer coated. Try nail polish remover. Nail polish is lacquer, and remover is lacquer thinner.
Why bother. Assume that most copper cookware is lacquered at the factory to extend shelf life. Get a small can of lacquer thinner and wash and clean your pots. It is cheap and available at the big box, paint, or hardware store. Any new kitchen item should be thoroughly cleaned before it is used. You don't know who has handled it or where it has been. Nearly all have manufacturing oil remaining on them.
Mineral spirits is not lacquer thinner. It is a paint thinner. It will not touch lacquer.
Most important. Do not use acetone or lacquer thinner in the kitchen, especially in a closed home, and leave your smoking for later. Both have toxic and highly flammeable fumes. Nothing ruins a good cooking day like blowing up your kitchen.
Don't be afraid of using your new cookware. I have used mine for years and have never had a problem with heat. If I wanted to heat a pan before putting in ingredents, I would fill it with water. A pot full of water will not go above 212 degrees and the pot would heat evenly.
Lastly, tin darkens with heat, use, and age. This is normal and I believe that if you try to remove it, you will destroy the lining. Like the scratches on the bottom of the pan. darkened tin only indicates a well used and well loved pot.

Back
Top Bottom