"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

If you had $100 to blow, what piece of stainless-steel cookware would you buy?

Ok, so right now all I have are non-stick Cooks' Essentials pots and pans. I want to switch to stainless steel because I hear they are a lot more versitile and are great for making pan sauces and such.

Instead of buying a cheap set that'll wear out in a couple years, I want to slowly build a collection of good-quality cookware, such as Calphalon and All-Clad.

My question is, what is a good 8-,10-, or 12- pan that doesn't cost much more than around $100? Thanks for the help!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Cook

I'm in Canada, so I can't help you on where to go, but look for a restaurant equipment supply in the phone book and go down to have a look before going to a retail outlet. You may find better quality professional equipment for your buck.

Try to buy pots and pans with handles that are riveted to to side rather than spot welded. And remember one thing...just because it shines doesn't mean it great quality.

Do this before dropping your money!

Marko
Livingston Cooks

Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Head Chef

I like to shop on Amazon (not advertising for them, I don't think they need it) and I have gotten great deals on things for the kitchen.

I purchased my microplane zester (years ago when it was only available at gourmet stores) for a very reasonable price. I also ordered Silpat from them before it became popular. I have never been disappointed. I have gotten braver and braver and have ordered a lot of expensive stuff from them and have been happy.

They have so much stuff in their cookware section. Look at the link to Calphalon stainless stuff. They also have Allclad at a good price but to me it's too pricey.

Amazon.com: Amazon.com - Tri-Ply Stainless: Kitchen & Dining
Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'd go to the Cookware and More website and wait for a sale. Then I'd buy an All Clad 10 or 12 inch skillet. Or a 3 qt saucepan. Or a 3 or 4 quart sautee pan.

This site sells cosmetic seconds at good prices. I've been buying from them for many years. They also run sales than afford even further discounts, which become very good deals.

All-Clad Stainless

Also, Amazon.com occasionally has very good deals on All Clad.

Whatever you do, don't buy top quality cookware at full price. It's always on sale somewhere. SHOP AROUND.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

^^^^^^^^^ What she said ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I'd go to the Cookware and More website and wait for a sale. Then I'd buy an All Clad 10 or 12 inch skillet. Or a 3 qt saucepan. Or a 3 or 4 quart sautee pan.

This site sells cosmetic seconds at good prices. I've been buying from them for many years. They also run sales than afford even further discounts, which become very good deals.

All-Clad Stainless

Also, Amazon.com occasionally has very good deals on All Clad.

Whatever you do, don't buy top quality cookware at full price. It's always on sale somewhere. SHOP AROUND.
WOW...very good prices there! I'm curious though...is there a way to find out what the "irregularity" is?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
WOW...very good prices there! I'm curious though...is there a way to find out what the "irregularity" is?
Sure....ask me. I bought 2 pans from there.

One had a tiny nick on the handle, and I couldn't find anything wrong with the second.

Who cares? They have more dings and scratches now than you can shake a stick at.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Cook

Buyer beware!

Marko
Livingston Cooks
Old 01-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:

I have purchased almost all of my All Clad from them. My theory is the same as Jeek's ... how long will it take you to nick a brand new pristine skillet? Is it worth that amount of money to use a pristine piece of cookware for that short an amount of time?

On maybe 6 of the pieces I couldn't tell anything at all. On 2 or 3 there was a small scratch -- like 1/2 inch. On one there was a larger scratch maybe 1 1/2 inch. I contemplated sending that one back, but kept it anyway. They'll take things back, of course.

They are a great company to buy from. They have a retail store somewhere where they let you root through the stock (all "seconds") and choose your own.

Most of mine are 8-12 years old now and still going strong.

If you call and talk to them they'll probably tell you when their next sale is. I get flyers now.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

The "irregularities" are cosmetic, not functional. For the reduced price, you pan won't be prefect but will function perfectly.